Decorations in salt aquariums

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know that some things that we use in freshwater cannot be used in salt- like many plastics or wood. I have some gemstones (the kind you tumble- mixed like quartz, flourite, amethyst, etc.) as well as a few small geode pieces that I use in freshwater. Can those be used in saltwater? I keep getting Google results talking about cleaning or cleansing stones in saltwater. I'm not worried about dirt or casting spells here (for this anyway, lol), I just want to decorate my tanks without endangering my critters.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned with whatever minerals and/or other contaminants that could leech from the rocks. Personally, I'd not use them.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would not use them. The what if they leach out any minerals would be too great of a risk.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many rocks, maybe even most rocks, are actually compounds of different metals and minerals. Only a geologist could really say with certainty that there's no copper content, or lead content or anything else in any of the stones or rocks you want to use.

Decorate your tank with corals :D

Bellasmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many rocks, maybe even most rocks, are actually compounds of different metals and minerals. Only a geologist could really say with certainty that there's no copper content, or lead content or anything else in any of the stones or rocks you want to use.

Decorate your tank with corals :D
I agree with you.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be sure not to put anything hollow in your tank; water water trapped in hollow decorations will stagnate. I had this happen with an artificial reef; made a horrible stench. I got rid of the plastic reef and replaced it with dry rock.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about decor like castles that made from acrylic? Do they harm the fish?
Acrylic is inert and shouldn't be toxic. You want to make sure decorations are solid and do not have hollows in them; as water trapped in the hollow spaces will stagnate. I would not advise putting artificial decorations in a reef tank, they will only get marred up by coralline algae, etc.

Last edited:

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anybody really has done a setup with freshwater gravel and decorations in a saltwater tank like the dentist's aquarium in Finding Nemo ? I thought it rather ridiculous myself........

Finding Nemo Aquarium.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been pondering adding a crashed millennium falcon to my next tank build. One of the old Kenner ones from the 90s. It definitely has to get all the stickers, screws, and electronics out. But I think it would look pretty cool as a shipwreck reef with coral growing on it and fish swimming through it.

Bellasmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is inert and shouldn't be toxic. You want to make sure decorations are solid and do not have hollows in them; as water trapped in the hollow spaces will stagnate. I would not advise putting artificial decorations in a reef tank, they will only get marred up by coralline algae, etc.
okay. I would consider about it. Thanks for sharing very useful information.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back