OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to some pictures of that Midas Blenny!

Here’s a shot of him in his new hidey hole.

512FE569-FD18-47D5-8EA1-5FD3B5961E0F.png

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank and the stand. Can I ask how does the "door" not fall forward? I like how it looks like a raised panel. I keep flip flopping between Exotic Marine and Modular marine. What was it about MM that you chose it?

Thanks
Diana

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank and the stand. Can I ask how does the "door" not fall forward? I like how it looks like a raised panel. I keep flip flopping between Exotic Marine and Modular marine. What was it about MM that you chose it?

Thanks
Diana

Hello Diana... thank you for the kind words.

For the stand, I wanted a removable door for ease of access... that, and as an amateur DIYer with no real cabinet making experience, I wasn’t that confident with properly installing European hinges. :D So what I went with were French cleats, which use angled blocks and gravity to keep the door panel in place. So as you can see in the photos below, the angled cut blocks on the door kind of hook onto the angled cut blocks in the door frame and stay in place via gravity.

As far as the overflow goes, when I ordered my 12” 1200 gph Modular Marine overflow, Exotic Marine Systems weren’t offering their overflows yet. They only had their sump kits at the time. I think that if I ever upgrade down the road, that I’d still go with the Modular Marine overflow again. I like the lid that they include for both the internal weir as well as the external box. In addition, although I do understand the greater surface skimming ability of EMS’s horizontal weir tooth, I prefer the traditional vertical weir teeth as I don’t need to worry about my fish or inverts being sucked down into the overflow boxes and then down into the sump. The entire internal box is removable as well, so keeping the weir teeth clean is a breeze whenever I perform water changes.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the French cleats (note the angled cuts in the blocks) so you can visualize how they work.

15428DF6-1419-4256-A801-FD6C8B0D0EE8.png
9859EF34-BF14-4DA4-AF8C-4B5A6094D96D.png
6D8B653A-B6B8-4F05-ADD4-151574BC8DA8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work. Looks great. How do you like the modular marine overflow?

Big fan. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat. I originally bought a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow for this build. I wasn’t a big fan of what felt flimsy to me, the injection molded construction as well as the lower level of the external box, which now seem to be the cause for a lot of noise based on reviews. The Modular Marine is built out of solid thick acrylic and is nice and quiet in operation... very impressed with it.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another harvest... still working on trying to strike a delicate nutrient balance in my system. Decided to turn off the skimmer last night to see how that affects nutrients in the system over the course of the next week. Earlier this month, I upped feeding in various forms and cut back the hours and intensity of the ATS. That led to a minor GHA outbreak on the back wall of the tank which is finally starting to recede due to manual removal and bringing up the ATS intensity and photoperiod back to my original settings. So we’ll see how shutting of the skimmer will work out this week. The journey continues...

E96FCC7D-5FEA-4845-92CA-06A3BFD2842B.jpeg

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the cleats on the door mount. Very clever.

Thanks! Yeah, I’m no carpenter, so I was very leery about installing European hinges properly. The French cleats were an easy solution and having the door fully off is great for ease of maintenanc.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along, great build @Water Dog . I picked up the same tank but it has the huge overflow already in it. Been thinking of trimming it down and making a herbie drain instead of a durso, then drill for returns. How are you enjoying the tank so far?

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank. It is very well built. Yeah, that big reef ready overflow is precisely the reason I went with the non reef ready version and drilled it myself for a low profile ghost style overflow.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 3/4” plywood mounting board that will be pocket screwed and glued onto a plywood baseplate. This will slide neatly into the cabinet. You can see the layout sketched in pencil... Head unit will go in the upper left. Next to that will be the WXM and future FMM (for leak detector purposes) modules. Right upper corner will be the 2 MP40 controllers. Centered below will be the 2 EB832s that will be flanked by the four 3” wire through holes for all the cables. The mounting board will be primed and painted with the leftover Kilz and acrylic paint from the stand.

54562FCA-4E6E-42A4-ACFC-22D1D8BCFFA4.jpeg
B0D59B60-8D15-4BEF-B23A-24A2266BC38E.jpeg
I am stealing this idea brother....lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back