Deep Sand Bed Question

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the Saltwater hobby, so forgive my youthful ignorance on this topic.

I'm curious as to why on all of the deep sand bed threads, there's no mention of a risk of anaerobic bacterial pockets building up in the sand bed and collapsing causing death in the tank. Does this not happen in saltwater tanks?

Coming from freshwater, if you are going to be using a deeper substrate, it's suggested to use a larger granule sizes or large porous rocks if necessary to facilitate beneficial bacterial growth in those areas. When I first saw marine pure blocks/balls, it looked to me they would be a perfect fit for that type of use. But, I haven't seen any mention of anyone trying something like that.

Just looking for expert thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are not done that much anymore. So we don't see them that much.
I've been on reef2reef close to three years and have see one Go bad. I have seen a half dozen shallow beds go bad , several rocks. , a refugium , and many many bio pellet reactors and several carbon and gfo reactors.

The goal with a marine Dsb is to get as many worms and bugs into it as possible to keep flow through it.

I kinda assume fresh water has fewer bugs in general.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of folks going bare bottom or 1-1.5 inch beds and then placing a DSB in a bucket with return pump for the benefits of the bed.

I kinda assume fresh water has fewer bugs in general.
I don't see much bugs in my freshwater tank. However, the gravel/sandbed is about 2.5-3.5 inch for plant growth. The root system helps keep things cleanish. That said, If I were to disrupt the gravel, a water change must happen.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s fascinating, the differences between fw and sw beds

would never touch my fw one, it’s about 14 yrs old and prob a foot deep :) agreed arenchyma are keeping it oxygenated

I want it’s detritus to never stop compiling as feed for the mass plantae

Must be ph am guessing that matters so much

That much detritus in a reef equals algae and ammonia wafts if you breathe wrong, but in fw Uber delicate tiny shrimps don’t care one bit that they’re pooping on top of poop from 2003

My fw bed is totally opposite design from sw

It’s large hardened grains that keep channels open for detritus to get in, and, the system is stilled it used no electricity other than lights, so that means it’s 100% bed incursion and not removed, forever. It’s designed to never exhaust or need replacement and as long as the next generations keep some shrimps in there the system will live on its own with light feeding topoff and occasional ferts/iron

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be ph am guessing that matters so much
Ph matters some but can range from 6-9. GH is what I have to keep on top of besides ferts and co2. My south american tank won't allow shrimp but is finicky about gh. My number is gh of 4.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with flow being the factor. A compacted bed will go anaerobic. If you don't have plants or bugs and larger micro fauna that's easy to do.

OP
OP
Naoxyn

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back