Deeply in love but not without trepidation….

bnord

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would really like somebody who’s been through this before to make comment.

As you can see this toadstool is flourishing in this tank. Two different pictures two months apart. I’ve had it for a year and a half and love its looks but I am concerned that like with any good leather its by products puts my finally beginning to grow reasonably well SPS at some risk.

Already changing carbon on a 2 to 3 weeks cycle just because. Also it’s becoming quite a Shadowcaster.

So the question is has anybody successfully been able to trim this into a much smaller version, or am I better off trying to take it out Or should i just buy a 300 (smile) Even at that I’m concerned about toxins .
The stalk is well embedded between two major pieces of landscape.

Never trimmed/fragged a Toadstool before but feel it is an eventuality

Suggestions?

607A3DC7-FAE0-4873-A392-091E2B6FC070.jpeg
ACA02A12-2FC8-4CB1-A6BE-5FA7CBF7FDA0.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

CoralB

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Never fragged one but also never experienced toxins enough to harm or ****** growth of SPS . I change out my carbon every 2-3 weeks as well but I do 15% water changes weekly . I thought toxins in corals are excreted only when stressed or threatened??? I have two of those half the size . But hey a great excuse to upgrade to a 300 :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
bnord

bnord

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Never fragged one but also never experienced toxins enough to harm or ****** growth of SPS . I change out my carbon every 2-3 weeks as well but I do 15% water changes weekly . I thought toxins in corals are excreted only when stressed or threatened??? I have two of those half the size . But hey a great excuse to upgrade to a 300 :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thinking of naming it Seymour from Little Shop if Horrors

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Cut that beast around the edges in a circle and make 1”x1” squares leaving you with a slightly smaller toadstool that will have the same shape and sell the other pieces after you get them on some rubble rock. And of course ship me one. Lol add carbon and your fine. Or pull it out rinse with rodi after cutting and add back. Make sure to use a new razor blade or brand new sharp scissors.

OP
bnord

bnord

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Cut that beast around the edges in a circle and make 1”x1” squares leaving you with a slightly smaller toadstool that will have the same shape and sell the other pieces after you get them on some rubble rock. And of course ship me one. Lol add carbon and your fine. Or pull it out rinse with rodi after cutting and add back. Make sure to use a new razor blade or brand new sharp scissors.
You’re saying essentially cut a donut of outside toadstiool leaving a smaller center?

Dburr1014

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would really like somebody who’s been through this before to make comment.

As you can see this toadstool is flourishing in this tank. Two different pictures two months apart. I’ve had it for a year and a half and love its looks but I am concerned that like with any good leather its by products puts my finally beginning to grow reasonably well SPS at some risk.

Already changing carbon on a 2 to 3 weeks cycle just because. Also it’s becoming quite a Shadowcaster.

So the question is has anybody successfully been able to trim this into a much smaller version, or am I better off trying to take it out Or should i just buy a 300 (smile) Even at that I’m concerned about toxins .
The stalk is well embedded between two major pieces of landscape.

Never trimmed/fragged a Toadstool before but feel it is an eventuality

Suggestions?

607A3DC7-FAE0-4873-A392-091E2B6FC070.jpeg
ACA02A12-2FC8-4CB1-A6BE-5FA7CBF7FDA0.jpeg
Leathers are the easiest corals to frag.
You can just lop off the head and cut it up to add many pieces you want. Elastic band pieces to Rock rubble. The stalk will grow back a new head.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Gah I'm in this exact situation now. A toadstool that I love is shading out some sps that I also love. Not enough space. The toadstool needs to be cut eventually, but I too am worried that it will have a negative impact on such a small system (mine is in a 15 g nano).

OP
bnord

bnord

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Leathers are the easiest corals to frag.
You can just lop off the head and cut it up to add many pieces you want. Elastic band pieces to Rock rubble. The stalk will grow back a new head.
Thanks

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Did you start off in the reef hobby buying used equipment? Do you still use pre-owned equipment? (Choose all that apply)

• Yes, I did start off with some used equipment. It made getting everything going easier!

Votes: 136 39.8%
  • Yes, I did start off with some used equipment, but it was a mistake I won't make again.

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • I still buy used equipment! It's a helpful way to save money in this hobby!

Votes: 105 30.7%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! And I'm glad I started with all new stuff!

Votes: 84 24.6%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! But, I should've looked around for used options!

Votes: 35 10.2%
  • I still only buy new equipment! Lots of problems avoided that way!

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Other... (Post in the thread)

Votes: 13 3.8%
QT FISH