Deeply in love but not without trepidation….

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like somebody who’s been through this before to make comment.

As you can see this toadstool is flourishing in this tank. Two different pictures two months apart. I’ve had it for a year and a half and love its looks but I am concerned that like with any good leather its by products puts my finally beginning to grow reasonably well SPS at some risk.

Already changing carbon on a 2 to 3 weeks cycle just because. Also it’s becoming quite a Shadowcaster.

So the question is has anybody successfully been able to trim this into a much smaller version, or am I better off trying to take it out Or should i just buy a 300 (smile) Even at that I’m concerned about toxins .
The stalk is well embedded between two major pieces of landscape.

Never trimmed/fragged a Toadstool before but feel it is an eventuality

Suggestions?

607A3DC7-FAE0-4873-A392-091E2B6FC070.jpeg
ACA02A12-2FC8-4CB1-A6BE-5FA7CBF7FDA0.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fragged one but also never experienced toxins enough to harm or ****** growth of SPS . I change out my carbon every 2-3 weeks as well but I do 15% water changes weekly . I thought toxins in corals are excreted only when stressed or threatened??? I have two of those half the size . But hey a great excuse to upgrade to a 300 :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fragged one but also never experienced toxins enough to harm or ****** growth of SPS . I change out my carbon every 2-3 weeks as well but I do 15% water changes weekly . I thought toxins in corals are excreted only when stressed or threatened??? I have two of those half the size . But hey a great excuse to upgrade to a 300 :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thinking of naming it Seymour from Little Shop if Horrors

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut that beast around the edges in a circle and make 1”x1” squares leaving you with a slightly smaller toadstool that will have the same shape and sell the other pieces after you get them on some rubble rock. And of course ship me one. Lol add carbon and your fine. Or pull it out rinse with rodi after cutting and add back. Make sure to use a new razor blade or brand new sharp scissors.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut that beast around the edges in a circle and make 1”x1” squares leaving you with a slightly smaller toadstool that will have the same shape and sell the other pieces after you get them on some rubble rock. And of course ship me one. Lol add carbon and your fine. Or pull it out rinse with rodi after cutting and add back. Make sure to use a new razor blade or brand new sharp scissors.
You’re saying essentially cut a donut of outside toadstiool leaving a smaller center?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just cut an inch in and around the circle you go then cut into squares. Found about an inch makes the best frags smaller is hard to get to stick and bigger is kind of a waste.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like somebody who’s been through this before to make comment.

As you can see this toadstool is flourishing in this tank. Two different pictures two months apart. I’ve had it for a year and a half and love its looks but I am concerned that like with any good leather its by products puts my finally beginning to grow reasonably well SPS at some risk.

Already changing carbon on a 2 to 3 weeks cycle just because. Also it’s becoming quite a Shadowcaster.

So the question is has anybody successfully been able to trim this into a much smaller version, or am I better off trying to take it out Or should i just buy a 300 (smile) Even at that I’m concerned about toxins .
The stalk is well embedded between two major pieces of landscape.

Never trimmed/fragged a Toadstool before but feel it is an eventuality

Suggestions?

607A3DC7-FAE0-4873-A392-091E2B6FC070.jpeg
ACA02A12-2FC8-4CB1-A6BE-5FA7CBF7FDA0.jpeg
Leathers are the easiest corals to frag.
You can just lop off the head and cut it up to add many pieces you want. Elastic band pieces to Rock rubble. The stalk will grow back a new head.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah I'm in this exact situation now. A toadstool that I love is shading out some sps that I also love. Not enough space. The toadstool needs to be cut eventually, but I too am worried that it will have a negative impact on such a small system (mine is in a 15 g nano).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back