• Tagged users None

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would be careful with any damsel. They are not the nicest fish (hardy), but tank terrors. If you have other fish and or tangs they will eventually pick on them. I had some and had to catch them and take them back. (Didn’t have these ) but it didn’t very long for them to be aggressive.

Not all damsels are like that, especially members of the genus chrysiptera,

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
madweazl, you touch on an additional point that enticed me: color. A really nice solid yellow.

I would love to add a lemon peel Centropyge angel to my main tank (or even a harem), but i want to be open to Tridacna clams in the future (side note: yeah, I would shift the lighting away from the blues). These damsels are as close as I think I will get to a similar-sized clam-safe yellow fish.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
madweazl, you touch on an additional point that enticed me: color. A really nice solid yellow.

I would love to add a lemon peel Centropyge angel to my main tank (or even a harem), but i want to be open to Tridacna clams in the future (side note: yeah, I would shift the lighting away from the blues). These damsels are as close as I think I will get to a similar-sized clam-safe yellow fish.
What about canary blennies?

Edit: sorry reread your post lol

Last edited:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galbas are only collected sporadically. There aren't any collectors in the Cook Islands and getting there and returning can get very expensive for a collector coming from another area. They're also deepwater, so collecting them is risky. Thus we only get to see them every few years - but when they come in the collector no doubt sent in quite a few, so you need to make a lot of inquiries if you really want one. Over the years I've only seen them in three of my local fish stores, and then at least two would have them at the same time. It will be several more years before any more are collected.

I've had two. The first cost me $50 many years back. Got another for $100 three or four years ago. I lost the second to a Flameback Angel who took a dislike to it and kept it in hiding under a shell. Neither Galba was especially aggressive.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice information to know! Thanks for posting, radiata.

Apologies, guys ... I didn't have time to take pics of the pair. I opted to just let them chill (in separate tanks) with only the room lighting. I didn't want to turn on the respective tank lights after finishing acclimation. Last night's menu was Hikari frozen brine shrimp. I couldn't offer a wine list, but the pair enjoyed their dinner. :)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics of the two rascals ... one's more outgoing than the other (yes, i keep green chromis in the tank as dither fish).

galba 01.jpg
galba 02.jpg

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
Gah! I am really kicking myself for not buying this (that is if I would have got there before you :) ). The more I read about it and see yours, well, I'm missing out. Thanks for continued posts. I'm sure there are better things to do but this is a really great looking fish so thank you for sharing.

I'll have to see if another comes in. If not I may settle for a captive raised yellow assessor from Pac East Aquaculture although it isn't a similar size.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah! I am really kicking myself for not buying this (that is if I would have got there before you :) ). The more I read about it and see yours, well, I'm missing out. Thanks for continued posts. I'm sure there are better things to do but this is a really great looking fish so thank you for sharing.

I'll have to see if another comes in. If not I may settle for a captive raised yellow assessor from Pac East Aquaculture although it isn't a similar size.

Try checking with a LFS. They are around right now. My local store said they could get me one for $175. Still a bit more than I was wanting to pay though.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of the Galba at Absolutely Fish, in Clifton NJ, is $250. I only saw one there.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish!

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice acquisitions, Phycodurus, they were always my favorite damsel, just locating them was the problem. You pay for what you get, when time permits, I’ll acquire one for my next tank. Keep us posted on the two of them.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some interesting behaviour to note: the second galba braces its snout against the live rock at sand level and "swishes away" the sand in a short burst of speed, causing a divet of sorts. the tank now has these little dunes all around the perimeter of the live rock lol. (the pics below are from saturday evening).

it seemed too early in the evening to consider it as bedding behaviour for the night, so i figure that he's thinking there's food particles in the sand that the water column will take up? (but he doesn't always turn around to inspect what's been stirred up).

this is over-speculation, but i'd be beyond thrilled if it's a gravid female preparing to lay eggs! ;Happy

i'm guessing they're almost impossible to sex. ;Wacky

-- rick

galba_2019-06-01a.jpg
galba_2019-06-01b.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galbas are only collected sporadically. There aren't any collectors in the Cook Islands and getting there and returning can get very expensive for a collector coming from another area. They're also deepwater, so collecting them is risky. Thus we only get to see them every few years - but when they come in the collector no doubt sent in quite a few, so you need to make a lot of inquiries if you really want one. Over the years I've only seen them in three of my local fish stores, and then at least two would have them at the same time. It will be several more years before any more are collected.

I've had two. The first cost me $50 many years back. Got another for $100 three or four years ago. I lost the second to a Flameback Angel who took a dislike to it and kept it in hiding under a shell. Neither Galba was especially aggressive.

How deep are they found? Fish Base lists the depth found in as 1-30 meters. That's not what I would consider deep. That's well within recreational dive limits. Beautiful fish.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are dropping! Saw another Galba at Absolutely Fish today for only $199.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few years ago they were going for 90-130 depending on who you bought them from. Not sure why the recent price gouging over the past year or so.............maybe less collection.

I would pay 200 as it's a beautiful fish and they'll live a good ten years+.

I wouldn't keep one in anything smaller than a 100g if you have some wimpy dither fish.

Here's a few shot of mine--

48255948071_b695478498_c.jpg

48273124336_5415e6ea94_c.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back