Defeat dinos ... when UV sterilizer shocked me!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
88172A47-AA33-4C1E-AA86-C259DDC59981.jpeg

So I have dinos, the one that hides in the sand.

LFS showed me how they beat it recently. So I dove in immediately, and plumbed my UV sterilizer. When sticking my hand in the tank I was shocked! A tingle feeling hit me through my arm.

I unplugged my uv sterilizer and opened it up to find a broken tip at the end of the bulb.

would this be a cause of stray voltage? Only occurred today and I always have my hand in the tank prior.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I'd call it "stray" voltage. That's a potentially lethal failure and I'm glad you're still with us. :)

Stray voltage in my mind is cause by some component aging (or several components) where the insulation is degraded.

That said...you should always have a grounding probe in any water tank that has electrical components and your devices should be connected to GFCI outlet.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you always leak test the UV after doing any work on it to ensure the quartz sleeve is undamaged and properly seated. Insert the sleeve and then place a rolled up paper towel in the opening. Run it without the bulb for a few hours and make sure the towel remains dry. Then insert the bulb and apply power.

Glad you are okay.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Don't think I'd call it "stray" voltage. That's a potentially lethal failure and I'm glad you're still with us. :)

Stray voltage in my mind is cause by some component aging (or several components) where the insulation is degraded.

That said...you should always have a grounding probe in any water tank that has electrical components and your devices should be connected to GFCI outlet.
What will a grounding probe do?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will a grounding probe do?
Provides a low resistance path to ground. The ground probe is essentially a wire from your tank to the ground plug of an outlet. You could also connect to copper/metal plumbing and do the same thing (usually easier to find electrical outlet).

The theory (proven fact theory, not the other kind of theory) is that current (which is what kills you, not voltage) will follow the lowest resistance path to ground and the probe in your tank will prevent it from going through you (body typically as higher resistance). Same principle as lightning rods on your home with a cable to ground spike.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get stings from my water if alkalinity is high / I have an open cut on my hand we’re you actually shocked or did you have any open cuts?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Make sure you always leak test the UV after doing any work on it to ensure the quartz sleeve is undamaged and properly seated. Insert the sleeve and then place a rolled up paper towel in the opening. Run it without the bulb for a few hours and make sure the towel remains dry. Then insert the bulb and apply power.

Glad you are okay.
This is what I will do. I should have realized something was wrong because pri
I get stings from my water if alkalinity is high / I have an open cut on my hand we’re you actually shocked or did you have any open cuts?
i actually cut my left hand from the PVC cutter just 20 minutes prior and it still stings.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Provides a low resistance path to ground. The ground probe is essentially a wire from your tank to the ground plug of an outlet. You could also connect to copper/metal plumbing and do the same thing (usually easier to find electrical outlet).

The theory (proven fact theory, not the other kind of theory) is that current (which is what kills you, not voltage) will follow the lowest resistance path to ground and the probe in your tank will prevent it from going through you (body typically as higher resistance). Same principle as lightning rods on your home with a cable to ground spike.

Do you recommend installing a probe in the sump or display ?

I don’t have GFCI outlets around my tank

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sump is normally fine. That's where mine is and should do the trick. Realize that if you're doing work with the return pump off and the faulty equipment is in your display then protection will be much less. I only have DC pumps in my display so much less of a concern to me. My UV is in-line with return. When I do another tank, I plan on closed loop for UV and maybe inline heaters...in that case I would need one probe in display. So yeah, for you, I'd get a probe for each (you can connect them to same ground plug).

Just talked myself out of sump only...thanks hadn't thought about that before.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always use a GFCI outlet when water is involved. It is pretty easy to swap out the existing outlet with a GFCI one, but if you don't want to go that route I recommend something like

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I should always use a GFCI outlet when water is involved. It is pretty easy to swap out the existing outlet with a GFCI one, but if you don't want to go that route I recommend something like

The thing is my outlet is behind my aquarium.

if I’m off on vacation and my aquarium trips the outlet, I suppose the apex would notify me right

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is my outlet is behind my aquarium.

if I’m off on vacation and my aquarium trips the outlet, I suppose the apex would notify me right
You can set it up to be notified by Apex. I know I get notified wit heartbeat, but you can also set up power monitoring. You can also take other steps to mitigate risk, like using multiple GFCI plugs or cords. I have my UV plugged into one of the extension cords linked above and other critical tank components split between two separate GFCI outlets to split up the tank life support. UV much like light ballast are known for tripping GFCI which is why I have it on its own. If it trips the cord only the light goes out but everything else continues on.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You can set it up to be notified by Apex. I know I get notified wit heartbeat, but you can also set up power monitoring. You can also take other steps to mitigate risk, like using multiple GFCI plugs or cords. I have my UV plugged into one of the extension cords linked above and other critical tank components split between two separate GFCI outlets to split up the tank life support. UV much like light ballast are known for tripping GFCI which is why I have it on its own. If it trips the cord only the light goes out but everything else continues on.
So if I installed it on a gfci oulet then it would trip it it was leaking or causing stray voltage right.

man what a scare now that I’m reading.

Woukd the ground probe be installed in it too? Where would you install one of these in the display ,m

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an electrician and can only go off of my research. Lots of good posts on here with knowledgeable people though so I would just search for their posts on the subject. I don't think stray voltage will trip a GFCI though. I do know that a GFCI can save your life when water is involved and that's why they are installed per code around every sink in the house.

My grounding probe is just in the sump. It's one system, water is water anywhere in that system so I just go with that. I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electrician here...word of warning, DO NOT install a ground probe without GFCI protection. This can create a very dangerous scenario. But one example, of many possibilities ...bad lighting fixture + grounding probe + no GFCI. If the lighting fixture has something wrong with the wiring and the metal case becomes electrified, and you happen to lean against it while working in the tank? ZAP!!!

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Electrician here...word of warning, DO NOT install a ground probe without GFCI protection. This can create a very dangerous scenario. But one example, of many possibilities ...bad lighting fixture + grounding probe + no GFCI. If the lighting fixture has something wrong with the wiring and the metal case becomes electrified, and you happen to lean against it while working in the tank? ZAP!!!
How would you go about it then.. ?

I have no gfci outlets behind the aquarium.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about it then.. ?

I have no gfci outlets behind the aquarium.
As a previous poster @PanhandleReef noted above, you can purchase an in line GFCI plug in unit that you plug into your regular outlet. Then branch out from there. I think it was an Amazon listing. Just ensure the product you are purchasing is UL listed, which the one pictured is...in some cases with so much offshore product coming in, it isn't.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I would have to get two of these to run in each outlet.

If it tripped, then unplug every outlet from the energy bar in the apex to find out what is tripping it correct?

also install a ground cable in the sump?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back