Delayed Shipment-Male Wantanabei Arrived Barely Alive

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, was wanting to reach out and see if you all had any recommendations for treating a fish that arrived a day and a half late because of a shipping error. This Male Wantanabei arrived barely alive and cold, I temperature acclimated him for 1 hour and made my QT match the salinity of the shipping water which was 1.018. I only poked a little hole to take a sample of the water in the bag and then taped it shut to not allow any oxygen in the bag, raising PH, and thus making deadly levels of ammonium. Since I matched the salinity within .01 I didn’t drip acclimate or anything and put him directly in the QT, again this was to try and limit exposure to ammonium.
The fish was laying on its side seemingly almost paralyzed and barely breathing. I went to bed last night thinking I would wake up to a dead fish, but to my surprise he was up and swimming around the QT tank this morning. He does have a weird blemish on his head that I’m not quite sure what it is. Also, I have tried to feed very small amounts so far and he doesn’t show any interests whatsoever.
So, does anyone have any recommendations for treatment or ideas to help rehabilitate this fish?This is a current picture of the fish. Second pic shows the blemish on his head....any idea what that is?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blemish may be from shipping damage as the fish rubbed against the bags. Especially if it was semi-conscious.
Beautiful fish. Best of luck. If it appears to breath strangely, be ready with a bath in methylene blue to help its gills transpire O2.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have not seen that either...

great job on the action you too to get the fish in the QT- it is exactly what i would have done in that situation. I will say "thank you for doing your homework beforehand" for you angel. Most would have fudged the bucket on that one.

give the fish a couple days to fully acclimate. Maybe light the tank with ambient only. Maybe a fresh clam, mussel, oyster to entice feeding response. I don't know much about this genus, but other angels I've kept are benthic feeders - they almost never turned down fresh shellfish.

good job and good luck!

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful fish! He looks great for being through such an ordeal. Are you planning on having a pair or just the male?

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen that either...

great job on the action you too to get the fish in the QT- it is exactly what i would have done in that situation. I will say "thank you for doing your homework beforehand" for you angel. Most would have fudged the bucket on that one.

give the fish a couple days to fully acclimate. Maybe light the tank with ambient only. Maybe a fresh clam, mussel, oyster to entice feeding response. I don't know much about this genus, but other angels I've kept are benthic feeders - they almost never turned down fresh shellfish.

good job and good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I will take it day by day and see how he responds. I have lights off in the tank...just turned on for a quick photo shoot. Lol

I hope he turns out to be ok because he really is a beautiful fish and would look great in my DT.

usually I give all fish a Hydroplex before entering QT and then again entering DT.
That is a beautiful fish! He looks great for being through such an ordeal. Are you planning on having a pair or just the male?

I already have a female in my DT. I think they look great together. DT is a RedSea Reefer 750 btw.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep him warm.... moderate water flow. If you can get it to eat, you will have a Good chance. If eating, add liquid vitamins such as selcon to its' food and keeps whites low to reduce chance of startle.
Winter is a tough time of the year for any shipments, even dry goods. I recently found my fish on my wish list and have to pass as we are in the twenties and have Teen's temperatures on the way

Lanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Geniacanthus Genus are mostly Zooplanktivores. They are usually looking for morsels floating in the water column, feeding out with the anthias and other fork-tailed plantivores. i would go for smaller frozen food like hikari mysis. good luck!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job doctoring this one back. Amazing his gills weren't destroyed by ammonia in the water. I wonder if the cool water may have actually helped by slowing his respiration rate and metabolism??

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job doctoring this one back. Amazing his gills weren't destroyed by ammonia in the water. I wonder if the cool water may have actually helped by slowing his respiration rate and metabolism??
I’m not sure...it’s a possibility. It was almost as if the back half of the fish was frozen in a slight curve. I am not sure if this was due to the lack of oxygen, the cold, or both. I was 99% sure he was a goner.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do people calanus and possibly find some masstick. I got a gold rim tang and a copperband and neither could resist the masstick

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do people calanus and possibly find some masstick. I got a gold rim tang and a copperband and neither could resist the masstick
Wow! That stuff is pretty cool. I can’t believe I haven’t heard about it before....just ordered some on amazon....will be here Saturday. I’ll let you know if he likes it.
I’m going to try it out in my DT too and see how the fish like it.....seems like a good way to keep NO3 and PO4 down too.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That stuff is pretty cool. I can’t believe I haven’t heard about it before....just ordered some on amazon....will be here Saturday. I’ll let you know if he likes it.
I’m going to try it out in my DT too and see how the fish like it.....seems like a good way to keep NO3 and PO4 down too.
It's great for finicky fish that won't eat especially new arrivals in qt. Followed the directs close. It can take a few tries to get it right when mixing it. It will end up being on the drier side. I have a small flatish rock I smear it on and then put in the qt

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing? I would give it a meth blue bath.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing? I would give it a meth blue bath.
Seems to be doing just fine and is relaxed and just gently swimming around.

I have ordered the Methyl Blue and it will be here Saturday. Hopefully that helps and isn’t too late.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s pretty! Looks good from what I can see if he survives the first 1-2 days and you can get him eating you are probably in the clear

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back