!!!DELTEC DC SKIMMERS ON SALE NOW AT BATTLECORALS ONLY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm impressed.

A lot of folks would have gone with the "buy the more expensive model" response . . .

Which of the pumps (AC or DC) would you consider to be more effective / efficient / reliable?

~Bruce (Who does tend to stock heavily and keep his fishies well-fed)

Hey Bruce,

Well one of the things I really like about Deltec is that their ratings are pretty much spot on. Going way over will often result in inconsistent performance compared to an appropriately sized Deltec. I can personally attest to that, having been in the bigger is better camp a long time and went with the bigger Deltec only to find it was way more skimmer than I needed.

You really are right in the sweet spot for the 1455-56.

As for the pumps, both have proven to be very reliable but I have had to replace a couple DC blocks now and had one issue with a controller. My gut always says go for the one with less "stuff" witch would be the AC having only one cord and plug and that's it, over the DC With transformer and controller, But I have been coming around on the dcs for a while now and my convictions are not as steadfast as there were on DC pumps and accompanying apparatus.

Ultimately I think it comes down to a matter of preference. Some people like the Ac and some prefer the DC. Performance is essentially the same. And short of a couple hiccups both have proven to be very reliable. The Dc draws a lttle less power. but not that much

Let me know if you have any other questions at all

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have anything on 50 gallon tank

Absolutely! The 1351 would be appropriate on a 50 with a sump, and one of the instances where I feel the DC has the advantage. Dialing the pump down a little my not be a bad idea as the 1351 is still a little big for 50 with a small sump. If you have heavy fish load eventually, you can pump it up to full power to keep up with the load.

If you don't have a sump thrn the hang on back mce400 would be the best bet. also on sale over on the site

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what is the purpose of the red screw at the bottom of the deltec skimmers.
Yes i own one and still can't figure it out!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can someone tell me what is the purpose of the red screw at the bottom of the deltec skimmers.
Yes i own one and still can't figure it out!

Hi there,

That screw is what holds body to the base. You can fully remove the body and access the pump by simply unscrewing the red thumbscrew, pulling the gray volute off the pump intake and gently pulling the body off of the base.

It makes cleaning as easy as can be. If you have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to ask.

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

That screw is what holds body to the base. You can fully remove the body and access the pump by simply unscrewing the red thumbscrew, pulling the gray volute off the pump intake and gently pulling the body off of the base.

It makes cleaning as easy as can be. If you have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you Adam! Appreciate the quick response. This is very helpful.

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One quick word of advice for all those buying deltec skimmers. Do not buy a skimmer bigger than recommended size for your tank. I have seen many articles where reefers are adviced to buy skimmers one or two size bigger than the manufacturer recommendation. This is not the case with deltec.
If you go against this advice, this is what will happen. The deltec skimmer, which are very efficient, will quickly skim out the skimmate and then will remain idle rest of the time. This is not a good thing, because you will face a hard time adjusting/tuning the skimmer. You will have tough time figuring out that "sweet spot". Go with manufacturers recommendation.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One quick word of advice for all those buying deltec skimmers. Do not buy a skimmer bigger than recommended size for your tank. I have seen many articles where reefers are adviced to buy skimmers one or two size bigger than the manufacturer recommendation. This is not the case with deltec.
If you go against this advice, this is what will happen. The deltec skimmer will quickly skim out the skimmate and then will remain idle rest of the time. This is not a good thing, because you will face a hard time adjusting/tuning the skimmer. You will have tough time figuring out that "sweet spot". Go with manufacturers recommendation.

Anytime and thanks for the post! He is spot on with that nugget. The closer you stay within their ratings the better you Deltec will perform. It's hard to resist going bigger but I am constantly talking people out of oversizing, as it will not be beneficial at all. Truly one the things that sets Deltec apart from the competition. They have really mastered matching of the body size and air intake volume to neck diameter and length for optimal performance. I had found their rating measures to be impressively accurate.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam,
I have an aquamaxx hob-1 , is it worth upgrading to the deltec hob? Which size would you recommend for a jbj 45 aio?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam,
I have an aquamaxx hob-1 , is it worth upgrading to the deltec hob? Which size would you recommend for a jbj 45 aio?

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for asking! I'd say yes. Absolutely and I'm confident you'd be really well served, and also very impressed with the MCE400. Deltec HOB's are unbelievable performers. She's a tad oversized but I really like this one over the smaller mce300 because it has a better pump so i tend to steer people that way, even if they are a bit oversized.

I know that contradicts what I just said about staying within their ratings lol, but you can skim really good and dry and it will stay consistent. you can also feed the crap out of your fish:)

I have a deep sale on the 400, and his big brother the 600 right now over on the site Let me know if you have any questions or would like more info at all.

https://battlecorals.com/products/mce400

Thanks again!

Adam

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's one beginning its journey to Connecticut . . .

I'll keep folks posted on the skimmer after it arrives and breaks-in, but I can assure anyone right now that it's coming from a righteously pleasant fellow to deal with!

Thanks, Adam!

~Bruce

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh my favorite skimmers ever. When there were no US dealers, I made a friend take one as his carry on on his way home from Russia. I'll be getting one for the new build soon, just need to make up my mind on model. Incase anyone questions the longevity of these guys, I've been running one since 2003, and have never had to do anything except clean it a few times a year.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SC 1351 just arrived from Adam a few days ago, and I can't wait to get it up and running in my new Reefer 250 build. Unfortunately, the skimmer is the only thing I have so far as I was so excited to try the deltec after reading all the reviews it was the first thing I ordered. Everything else is slowly coming in over the next week :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SC1455 is here!

Wish my new system and sump were all set up so I could drop it in and play, but . . . Packaging was perfect and secure, no apparent damage seen during a quick peek inside the box.

Thanks, Adam!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam,
What's the neck diameter of the SC 1351? Is there a swabbie option for it?

Hi there,

Im sorry I missed this one somehow the other day. The inside diameter on the neck of the 1351 is 2 3/4 inches. Deltec does not make a cleaning head for this guy, but I have found with these smaller models, its easier to just pop the cup and give it a quick rinse. Don't even have to turn it off.

If you have any other questions at all please let me know.

Thanks

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm running a RE alpha 170 on 180gal
SPS .... Would a Deltec skim better? If so which model?
Thx

Hi there.

Im very confident that you be happy with a Deltec. I know people love their Vertex skimmers, but Deltec is hard to beat when it comes down to performance. At 180 gallons your skimmer is the 1455 or 1456 for sure. The 55 is the AC and 56 is the DC. I am honoring the sale price on the AC skimmers as well so I can do either for 499.00.

if you have any other questions or feel like chatting skimmers at all let me know, anytime.

Thanks a lot!

Adam

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

Im very confident that you be happy with a Deltec. I know people love their Vertex skimmers, but Deltec is hard to beat when it comes down to performance. At 180 gallons your skimmer is the 1455 or 1456 for sure. The 55 is the AC and 56 is the DC. I am honoring the sale price on the AC skimmers as well so I can do either for 499.00.

if you have any other questions or feel like chatting skimmers at all let me know, anytime.

Thanks a lot!

Adam
Ok my Alpha has a 4in neck with the red dragon pump it's a beast of a skimmer ... What's the neck diameter in the 1456?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
HI there,

The neck diameter on the 1456/56 is 3.5 inches. The beauty of the newer line of Deltec's is how impressively compact they are. Especially compared to similarly classed skimmers. I have learned myself that bigger does not always mean better, and when proper attention to certain metrics like pump size and needle wheel size and pin count & length, and air and water through the skimmer, and neck/body diameter can make all the difference in stability and over all performance. As opposed to actual size and simply blasting as much air as possible into the skimmer. Sorry for the mouthful here, but this is an area where Deltec truly shines and you almost have to see one in action to really believe it.

Will the 1455 out skim the 170? I'd like to think so, but can't say so for sure. However, it will be a near perfect fit on your 180, and you can expect constant and steady dry foam, and very little "tweaking" . Oddly enough this is one of the rarer instances where ether Deltec is actually they cheaper one at 499.00 vs 859.00 lol! If you wan to put the Vertex up against the comparatively priced 1660 well, then Id' say the Deltec would come out on top :) but it would still be a bit oversized on your 180.

curious though, is there anything you not happy about with the vertex?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back