Deltec USA Protein Skimmers: Q & A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Deltec USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec is known to be one of the first companies to use a protein skimmer on a marine aquarium over 40 years ago! German engineered with years of experience and success make it a great choice for beginners to the most advanced hobbyists.

The new “i” series (24V DC) design incorporates a unique footplate design allowing water to return through a narrow passage to help eliminate micro-bubbles returning to the sump
while reducing turbulence within the skimmer body. Other features include a highly efficient cylinder body, newly developed emergency overflow system with water level indicator, whisper quiet operation, extremely low power consumption as well as quick and easy removal of the variable speed DC pump. Also available as an ‘ix” model using AC pumps (110V). From 40 gallons to 5,000 gallons there is a Deltec skimmer for everyone.

Have a question on a Deltec Protein Skimmer? Let us know below!
DELTEC-skimemrs-r2r.jpg

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to love your skimmer, 1000ix, but the venturi tube is such a small diameter that it clogged with salt creep and buildup constantly making it very inconsistent. I wanted to love it, but couldn't. If you ever enlarge the diameter of your venturi's like every other manufacturer I'll use your product again.

OP
OP
Deltec USA

Deltec USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to love your skimmer, 1000ix, but the venturi tube is such a small diameter that it clogged with salt creep and buildup constantly making it very inconsistent. I wanted to love it, but couldn't. If you ever enlarge the diameter of your venturi's like every other manufacturer I'll use your product again.
What depth are you operating the skimmer at? Like any skimmer, some freshwater drawn into the venturi once a month is recommended but we have not heard of any issues with clogging. Can you send us a photo of your set-up? Sorry you have had this experience and hope we can resolve it for you.

OP
OP
Deltec USA

Deltec USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn’t there a drain line on the 600i? Also is the neck cleaner standard or an optional add on? Thank you.
Deltec felt the cup size was adequate to store a week or two of skimmate. Is yours filling up too quickly?

The neck cleaner (cleaning system manual (csm)) is standard on the 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000. They do not make one for the 400i as of yet.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What depth are you operating the skimmer at? Like any skimmer, some freshwater drawn into the venturi once a month is recommended but we have not heard of any issues with clogging. Can you send us a photo of your set-up? Sorry you have had this experience and hope we can resolve it for you.
I'm not running your skimmer currently. I ran it from the minimum to maximum and everything in between depths advised in your manual for my skimmer.

The problem is the design of the venturi for the 1000ix. The diameter of the tube is so small. I run an oversized airline from outside to help with my ph issues so i think the air restriction was probably the issue.

OP
OP
Deltec USA

Deltec USA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you had that experience and that we didn't have the opportunity to troubleshoot it with you. We have many of these units in operation with no issues. The extended air intake most certainly played a factor but without seeing the problem it is too hard to speculate.

Frenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec felt the cup size was adequate to store a week or two of skimmate. Is yours filling up too quickly?

The neck cleaner (cleaning system manual (csm)) is standard on the 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000. They do not make one for the 400i as of yet.

600i owners aren’t allowed to take a holiday then.

Given the 1000i does have the drain line, for the little extra cost, would this be too large on 86g/326l system, allowing at least for tank upgrade down the line?

keving325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes we’re here. Thank you for your patience. A 600i would be great for a heavily stocked tank at 100g or under. It’s rated for 55-150g. Let us know if you have any other questions.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I was bored. Thanks for the reply! I thought I would be safe with the 600i, but just wanted to make sure. I really want an e-flow pump for my return, but I'll have to wait until this pandemic is over before I can spend the money. Thanks again!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought battkecorals didn't sell them anymore because deltec has a US branch now. Don't quite me on this though.
When I'm ready to buy one, I'll probably buy it from him. My Nyos is giving problems and I'm really sick of dealing with it, especially for the money I paid for it. Since I have a heavy feeding hand and a fairly heavy bio load, I'm going with the 1000i. My Nyos is rated for a 1000L tank, so I'll stick with that size, even though I'm below that in tank size, but not bio load.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, all skimmers seem to say “check back soon”???

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back