Demineralization of distilled water?

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m posting this to clear up a bit of confusion I’m having. I’ve done research to see if I could use distilled water for water changes since I’m finally getting away from the tap. The problem is, I’ve read from some sources that distilled water can be fatal if done in a water change since it has none of the minerals necessary for fish/corals. However, I believe that applies to freshwater fish keeping as the salt mix introduces those back into the water, right? I’m using IO reef mix, if that helps.

So I guess what I’m asking is: is it safe to use distilled water for water changes and do I need to do anything other than mix in the salt?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water is pure water. Its already demineralized (meaning no minerals) Add your salt mix to that has all the necessary things for saltwater life to grow and live. The only concern wuth distilled water is if they used copper condesating coils.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely safe to use. Do you have a tds mster? If it says 0 tds its good and pure.

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely safe to use. Do you have a tds mster? If it says 0 tds its good and pure.
So, just so I’m certain, distilled water doesn’t have the same problems it does with freshwater because the salt mix remineralizes it?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use is distilled water for tank changes. I dont have the water pressure for an R/O unit.

Distilled water can't contain minerals and its minimum standards are higher than R/O water bought from commercial sources. The only contaminants distilled water can contain is chemicals with a lower vapor point than boiling water.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just so I’m certain, distilled water doesn’t have the same problems it does with freshwater because the salt mix remineralizes it?
Thats correct yes. But we dont like the term remineralize because things like copper in small excess are toxic to corals. Thats why we use distilled and purifed salts. Not much copper.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used distilled water for water changes for years, I bought RO/DI before and was not happy with it as I’m not sure it was true RO/DI water because of where I bought it. Anyway I’ve never had problems with distilled water.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used distilled water for water changes for years, I bought RO/DI before and was not happy with it as I’m not sure it was true RO/DI water because of where I bought it. Anyway I’ve never had problems with distilled water.
I was getting ready to start a thread on this. I was going to ask if distilled water and using a water conditioner would be okay for water changes. After reading several posts within this thread, I'm wondering if water conditioner is needed at all.

- Is water conditioner needed if I were to use distilled water to create my saltwater?
- Is it safe for coral?
- Where do you get your distilled water from? I planned on buying the 1 gallon jugs in the baby section at walmart but I'm open to other ideas.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats correct yes. But we dont like the term remineralize because things like copper in small excess are toxic to corals. Thats why we use distilled and purifed salts. Not much copper.
What are your thoughts on the question I asked @Chrisfish ?
I was getting ready to start a thread on this. I was going to ask if distilled water and using a water conditioner would be okay for water changes. After reading several posts within this thread, I'm wondering if water conditioner is needed at all.

- Is water conditioner needed if I were to use distilled water to create my saltwater?
- Is it safe for coral?
- Where do you get your distilled water from? I planned on buying the 1 gallon jugs in the baby section at walmart but I'm open to other ideas.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use water conditioner with distilled water. Mix your salt and do your top offs with just distilled, and no dechlorinator additives.

Then switch to an RODI unit as soon as you can. The RODI will pay for itself over the long term. Both in dollars and convenience when you get sick of buying and hauling 1 gallon jugs of water.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use water conditioner with distilled water. Mix your salt and do your top offs with just distilled, and no dechlorinator additives.

Then switch to an RODI unit as soon as you can. The RODI will pay for itself over the long term. Both in dollars and convenience when you get sick of buying and hauling 1 gallon jugs of water.

Thanks for telling me! I would have absolutely used conditioner.

RODI units are quite intimidating to be honest. Every time I start researching, it’s a bit overwhelming. Probably more so because I’m a newbie. Guess I’m learning so much that I was hoping not to over complicate things too early on. Also, I don’t know if it’s worth all the trouble for a weekly 10% water change on a 32 gallon tank.

I was more so wondering if it’s safe and if experienced saltwater hobbyists saw any issues using distilled in their tanks.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for telling me! I would have absolutely used conditioner.

RODI units are quite intimidating to be honest. Every time I start researching, it’s a bit overwhelming. Probably more so because I’m a newbie. Guess I’m learning so much that I was hoping not to over complicate things too early on. Also, I don’t know if it’s worth all the trouble for a weekly 10% water change on a 32 gallon tank.

I was more so wondering if it’s safe and if experienced saltwater hobbyists saw any issues using distilled in their tanks.
Just out of curiosity why are you moving away from tap water? Were you successful using tap water for top off? Did you get an icp done that detected heavy metals? Algae outbreak? Just interested whenever I see that someone had long term success without rodi.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome.

Distilled is fine for now....

RODI is very easy and convenient, and you will get water for pennies per gallon.

If you follow usual learning curve, your knowledge of RODI will increase while your tolerance of buying and hauling distilled water decreases. When those two curves intersect, you will be ready to buy a unit...

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity why are you moving away from tap water? Were you successful using tap water for top off? Did you get an icp done that detected heavy metals? Algae outbreak? Just interested whenever I see that someone had long term success without rodi.
I haven’t used tap before. I’ve been using imagitarium Pacific Ocean water. I haven’t had any issues but my water changes are so small and could be much cheaper and easier. I also literally stay 4 minutes away from Walmart vs Petco which is about 20 minutes from my home.

Overall, I’ve had no issues with imagitarium.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the question I asked @Chrisfish ?
Distilled is just mostly pure water, when it evaporates it leaves behind what isn't evaporatable like minerals. It can however evaporate things like chlorine which can be in the water. But thats unlikely. You dont need to add water conditioner because there shouldn't be anything to condition in distilled. If there is id look for a new source.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled and RO/DI are essentially 2 different methods to achieve basically the same result.

Distilled uses heat to evaporate water into a gas which kills bacteria and then cools into a liquid that has left behind dissolved minerals. Care needs to be used that the condensing coil is not copper based because this can leach into the water causing harm to your tank.

Ro/DI uses a series of mechanical and chemical filtration to separate minerals from the water.

The main advantage of Ro/DI is the volume of water you can create is larger and most likely cheaper than using a distiller.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled and RO/DI are essentially 2 different methods to achieve basically the same result.

Distilled uses heat to evaporate water into a gas which kills bacteria and then cools into a liquid that has left behind dissolved minerals. Care needs to be used that the condensing coil is not copper based because this can leach into the water causing harm to your tank.

Ro/DI uses a series of mechanical and chemical filtration to separate minerals from the water.

The main advantage of Ro/DI is the volume of water you can create is larger and most likely cheaper than using a distiller.
Marvelous explanation! Love it!
You’re welcome.

Distilled is fine for now....

RODI is very easy and convenient, and you will get water for pennies per gallon.

If you follow usual learning curve, your knowledge of RODI will increase while your tolerance of buying and hauling distilled water decreases. When those two curves intersect, you will be ready to buy a unit...
Lol! Love that last paragraph.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water was free and i had to choose ro/di over distilled id pick distilled.

Reason: reverse osmosis is a mechanical filter in a sense and it can break and chemicals can enter your water unknowingly. Deion resin can leech ammonia when its full and kill things also unknowingly. However a distilled water filter cannot break like an ro can. The process is natural and wont be disrupted by not paying attention to it like an ro/di needs. So in this sense distilled water is superior to ro/di when it comes to reliability.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water was free and i had to choose ro/di over distilled id pick distilled.

Reason: reverse osmosis is a mechanical filter in a sense and it can break and chemicals can enter your water unknowingly. Deion resin can leech ammonia when its full and kill things also unknowingly. However a distilled water filter cannot break like an ro can. The process is natural and wont be disrupted by not paying attention to it like an ro/di needs. So in this sense distilled water is superior to ro/di when it comes to reliability.

Attachments

• 4B6A1A03-24CC-4BF6-8A60-321AA22F4D45.png
    4B6A1A03-24CC-4BF6-8A60-321AA22F4D45.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 15

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back