Dental floss looking poo

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in quarantine exactly 1 week since I went Black Friday fish shopping. They are eating and swimming and acting normal. I have just been observing for the week. Tomorrow I am starting copper. Today my Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse was swimming around with what looked like dental floss poop. Is there anything I should do before starting copper tomorrow as I had planned?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in quarantine exactly 1 week since I went Black Friday fish shopping. They are eating and swimming and acting normal. I have just been observing for the week. Tomorrow I am starting copper. Today my Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse was swimming around with what looked like dental floss poop. Is there anything I should do before starting copper tomorrow as I had planned?
What fish do you have in the QT along with the wrasse?
What foods are you feeding?

I generally just wait 72 hours before starting copper, waiting longer just gives the diseases more time to get started and these can be tougher to cure than prevent.

Jay

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have in the QT along with the wrasse?
What foods are you feeding?

I generally just wait 72 hours before starting copper, waiting longer just gives the diseases more time to get started and these can be tougher to cure than prevent.

Jay
There is a red firefish and orange spotted goby. I feed LRS reef frenzy. I started copper today.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal does copper evaporate with water. This morning copper was at 1.22 and now it’s at 1.04 and I can’t figure out what’s going on? Last night it was at .91 and this morning it was at .77?

Either the floss pad in my HOB filter is absorbing copper or the Maxspect NanoTech beads are absorbing copper? The beads are ceramic and the I thought floss doesn’t absorb copper I’m stumped
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal does copper evaporate with water. This morning copper was at 1.22 and now it’s at 1.04 and I can’t figure out what’s going on? Last night it was at .91 and this morning it was at .77?

Either the floss pad in my HOB filter is absorbing copper or the Maxspect NanoTech beads are absorbing copper? The beads are ceramic and the I thought floss doesn’t absorb copper I’m stumped
image.jpg
image.jpg
No, copper doesn’t leave with evaporation. Filter floss won’t remove it either, but poly filter will. I can’t speak to the max spect product, but it seems to be fumed silica and the package says it’s inert, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

No sand or rocks in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, copper doesn’t leave with evaporation. Filter floss won’t remove it either, but poly filter will. I can’t speak to the max spect product, but it seems to be fumed silica and the package says it’s inert, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

No sand or rocks in the tank?

Jay

No sand or rock. Here is my QT. Also here is the floss I’m using. It is poly.

A16BAA38-E5D7-4B15-9F6C-475CF14F3BC1.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that material is fine, it is polyester. Poly Filter is a special chemical absorbent that removes copper.
Jay

Perfect! But that still leaves me with something absorbing copper. My Fluval heater has a plastic guard. Will certain plastics absorb copper? Also, maybe the bio beads aren’t inert? Hmmm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! But that still leaves me with something absorbing copper. My Fluval heater has a plastic guard. Will certain plastics absorb copper? Also, maybe the bio beads aren’t inert? Hmmm.
Plastic doesn't absorb copper. My guess is that the bio beads aren't inert.

There is ONE other possibility - in water with high calcium levels, about 10 to 15% of the first copper dose seems to bind up with that in the water, requiring a partial redose to get back to 100%. However, that should only happen with the first dose, not subsequent doses.....

Jay

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic doesn't absorb copper. My guess is that the bio beads aren't inert.

There is ONE other possibility - in water with high calcium levels, about 10 to 15% of the first copper dose seems to bind up with that in the water, requiring a partial redose to get back to 100%. However, that should only happen with the first dose, not subsequent doses.....

Jay

Last night copper was 1.25ppm and this morning it was 1.25ppm. I believe the bonded Poly-filter floss from InTank was absorbing the copper.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back