Department of Motor Vehicle

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DMV person told me if you don't want to wait long, go the last hour, they have to get you outa there and suddenly all counters are occupied and bustling cause they all want to leave on time.
She said this was especially true on Friday!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that everything at the CA DMV is now online and that going into the office is not necessary anymore. It has never been advisable.

Going to the CA DMV is fun, just like finding AEFW in your DT.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happened when I renew my license.
I was in line at 8:15 and I got a #- G49 at 9:00 and DMV lady listed my phone# , wrote it on a paper and since my work is about 10 mins away, I left and plan to comeback before noon but around 11:30 I got a text that "be sure to be at DMV and your # will be called soon. I arrived at DMV and # being called is still G40. I still waited 40 mins.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DMV person told me if you don't want to wait long, go the last hour, they have to get you outa there and suddenly all counters are occupied and bustling cause they all want to leave on time.

I heard this from the security on duty talking to another person- " arrive here at 4pm and it is not crowded like this"

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to let you in until exactly 5 o’clock. I go in at 4:55 whenever I have to go, and have never waited more than 15 minutes. Prob done it a dozen times. A friends wife used to work there and was the one who told me about this gem.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I went there in person to renew both my license and my registration.
I had moved, so I also renewed my address.
I got my reg tags, took photo for new license., w/ renewal forms I filled out w/ my new addy.
Like a month later I get a notice, my license was sent back cause of wrong address...
I called and was like wtheck, I changed addy when I got tags, and the lady says oh, they renewed your addy for reg, but not for license, they are different.
I'm like, I got the notice, why I'm calling, please send my license...and they refused, I had to come in person to prove it was me...and I was about to go to Vegas to see journey play, had no choice but to leave work early and go in person but at least the lady gave me this tip to ease burden, so that's what I've done ever since.
It really makes you realize how poor our civil services are run, they work hard (kinda) like the last 45 minutes of the day.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 hr 35 min. Not bad considering I got there right after it opened.
I went to the one on normal st.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Santa Teresa DMV (Norcal) for DL with Real ID renewal. DMV opens at 8. I got there 7:15 and was 15th in line. I know most people arrive like 7:45 and by that time, the line was around the corner. I was out of the DMV 8:20!! You must fill up your info online before you go to the DMV. The total time I was at the counter was like 10 minutes. Very fast and efficient imho.

You are required to renew in person to get a Real ID DL, AAA won't work.

BTW, the CA DMV website has real time info on how long the wait is going to be, so you can go to the one with shortest wait time. I just checked now, and all south bay DMV offices wait time is around 20-30 minutes.

I just looked up National City and selected Chula Vista, and wait time is about an hour. But it shows nearby DMV wait times and the two San Diego DMV wait times are 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back