Designer clown fish with swollen gills

watrpologuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I posted about this concern on the clown/anemone sub but did not get any responses. I purchased this designer clown about three days ago now and after the second day noticed the clown had both gills inflamed or swollen. The LFS claims it could not be genetic or from them as they only buy from reputable breeders such as proaquatix and ORA. My parameters are 0ammonia, 0nitrates, 0nitrites, and 8.0ph. The clown tends to favor swimming still on top of a rock. A did a one minute freshwater bath today and hoping that may solve the issue. Any other suggestions or recommendations would be wonderful.

5F26AD9C-82CF-4EB6-9962-6DC5070A916D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2529.MOV
    13 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I posted about this concern on the clown/anemone sub but did not get any responses. I purchased this designer clown about three days ago now and after the second day noticed the clown had both gills inflamed or swollen. The LFS claims it could not be genetic or from them as they only buy from reputable breeders such as proaquatix and ORA. My parameters are 0ammonia, 0nitrates, 0nitrites, and 8.0ph. The clown tends to favor swimming still on top of a rock. A did a one minute freshwater bath today and hoping that may solve the issue. Any other suggestions or recommendations would be wonderful.

5F26AD9C-82CF-4EB6-9962-6DC5070A916D.jpeg

Hi - I responded to your first post:

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is that just a screen grab? I couldn't get the video to play. A video would help us judge its respiration rate.
How long have you had the clown?
When did this develop?
Gill disease can cause this (bacterial of flukes) as can genetic/developmental deformities that are common in tank raised clownfish.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
is there a loss of appetite?
How is breathing rate- normal or rapid ?

production of mucus in gills will cause this as will inflammation of gills similar to hyperpasia caused by bacterial condition. Additionally, mucus does not always mean brook as it is used my fish to protect membranes. It should retract. You can also transfer fish to container of fresh saltwater which may reverse this

OP
OP
W

watrpologuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a loss of appetite?
How is breathing rate- normal or rapid ?

production of mucus in gills will cause this as will inflammation of gills similar to hyperpasia caused by bacterial condition. Additionally, mucus does not always mean brook as it is used my fish to protect membranes. It should retract. You can also transfer fish to container of fresh saltwater which may reverse this
I have not been able to get the clown to eat. His breathing rate seems normal or at par with the other Clown that is in my tank. How long should I leave the clown in a container with fresh saltwater?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have not been able to get the clown to eat. His breathing rate seems normal or at par with the other Clown that is in my tank. How long should I leave the clown in a container with fresh saltwater?
60- 90 minutes sufficient. Its more of a bath

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I dose with prazipro if the bath does not resolve the issue? I did a freshwater bath today but he seemed more stressed after that bath.
FW will impose stress. As for prazi, if caused by flukes will be alleviated

Back