Designer clownfish - what's your opinion?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @Bubba12 . They are different, but look close enough to a normal clown. Some of the fancier ones look like they have a skin disease to me. LOL

thedru13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of having them. They are awesome.
d901888e5fc1d5426e0ed92ecbe637bc.jpg

3a750f7270f79d03d219bf5cd0844880.jpg

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like breeding guppies except I like the way the guppies turn out better. To me they just look weird.

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of color variations in most every animal. I have a piebald Dachshund and a ~fancy color~ bearded dragon, so of course I love designer clowns. Plus it feels almost like Pokemon from my childhood, gotta catch em all!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but from the start I’ve been clear about not wanting any designer clownfish or any other kind of artificially altered fish. I much prefer the originals that are easier to find captive bred. Give me an un-altered Ocellaris or Darwin Ocellaris any day over one of their mutant freaks. I’m never going to buy a designer clown.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but from the start I’ve been clear about not wanting any designer clownfish or any other kind of artificially altered fish. I much prefer the originals that are easier to find captive bred. Give me an un-altered Ocellaris or Darwin Ocellaris any day over one of their mutant freaks. I’m never going to buy a designer clown.
Believe it or not, some of the “freaks” actually occur naturally in the ocean. Misbar and mochas can be readily found in the ocean. I don’t mind Picasso and some snowflake clowns but the rest like Wyoming whites and platinums are UGLY imo. I have a plain clown with a slight misbar. I didn’t pick the fish out, it was scooped out of a giant tank full of plain clowns and I ended up with the slightly different one ;Hilarious

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like breeding guppies. I prefer the original by clowns by far. Unlike guppies I do not see any beauty in the various clown designs. An all white one might be nice because of the rarity of an all white in aquarium fish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me none to others...

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally my personal opinion and I am in no way forcing my preferences onto others. For those who really like the look of the various, even the more wacky varieties of designer clowns, all the power of them.

However, I still find the originals, regardless of species, to be far more beautiful. I find the common varieties such as the Ocellaris, Percula, Tomato, Fire, Clarkii’s to all be beautiful. Temperament’s another issue but I find them the cutest in their original colors. Maroon clowns are OK to me. The least attractive clowns to me are the Skunk clowns. Saddleback is okay but I prefer Clarkii’s when it comes to having a similar color scheme.

I heard Biota Palau does the “bonsai” Coral Beauties and another company is doing nano Yellow Tangs. I’d be worried about genetic defects, more than anything else.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally my personal opinion and I am in no way forcing my preferences onto others. For those who really like the look of the various, even the more wacky varieties of designer clowns, all the power of them.

However, I still find the originals, regardless of species, to be far more beautiful. I find the common varieties such as the Ocellaris, Percula, Tomato, Fire, Clarkii’s to all be beautiful. Temperament’s another issue but I find them the cutest in their original colors. Maroon clowns are OK to me. The least attractive clowns to me are the Skunk clowns. Saddleback is okay but I prefer Clarkii’s when it comes to having a similar color scheme.

I heard Biota Palau does the “bonsai” Coral Beauties and another company is doing nano Yellow Tangs. I’d be worried about genetic defects, more than anything else.
The biota bonsai coral beauty is pretty imo. It’s essentially the same thing with a bit more yellow/orange. Still annoying like clownfish though. Mine attacks the baster when I’m trying to spot feed. We have a love hate relationship lol :rolleyes:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D62CBDD5-A610-497D-9478-5599D86847B0.jpeg

Everone is entitled to their opinions and Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here is my pair of Miami White clownfish yesterday. The creator of this genotype, paired a Wyoming white, from the late Bill Addison of Seaquest in Puerto Rico with I believe, a occelaris/percula hybrid parent. A beautiful pair with no disabilities or defects whatsoever. Man made GMO’s are found in all forms of living things today and have been around for a long time. In many cases, aesthetic genetic changes in many living things have brought on deformities and disabilities in the organism that make it difficult for the creature to go about it’s life, something I’ve always been against. Therefore, I like the diversity of different coloration and patterns in clownfish, but I don’t like when the fish looks like it’s struggling. Don’t like long fins or stubby clownfish.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake that is about 5yrs old. Great color and vibrant lines. It was maybe $100 when I got it.

I'm not a huge fan of the all white clowns, just not appealing to me. But to each their own. Just like corals there are some I like and some I dont.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back