Designer or Inbred? How do you pronounce it?

How do you pronounce it?

• Designer Fish

Votes: 233 55.0%
  • Inbred Fish

Votes: 155 36.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 8.5%

• Total voters

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted inbred. I never had "designer" clowns that acted normal. Not single one would host, always stayed in the water column.
I have a designer that will host anything in the tank that’s soft and wiggly... she murdered my Duncan’s loving them to death, then moved to the hammer. I left a patch of hair algae on the wall and now she loves it to death too. Haha. My plain ocellaris wedges himself in the rockwork and derps out.... I’m going to get them a BTA in the tank soon so maybe i can add softer corals back in. No clown got to choose their pattern or personality. We just enjoy them for what they are....even if they kill your favorite corals...

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question! I have a pair of onyx picasso clowns and I absolutely love them. If someone doesn't like them because they consider themselves more of a purist, then the solution is easy: just don't buy them. But don't admonish those of us that appreciate them. Just different strokes for different folks. Same for tangs. I'm for innovation and anything that is a safe substitute for harvesting fish from the oceans, many by unscrupulous means (cyanide, etc.).

I do, however, have an issue if breeding leads to genetic issues of which the customer is unaware. Similar to cross-breeding dogs (i.e., a poodle mixed with [anything] phenomenon), as long as the poodle and lab have pure mothers and fathers--i.e., mom is a lab and dad is a poodle--there should be no breeding issues. Where you run into issues is when you start breeding labradoodles with each other. Although I'm not a geneticist, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I think that fish have the same inbreeding risks.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been breeding killifish for 50+ years and we've always worked hard to avoid hybrids, even mixing different collection locations so my feeling on these "designer" fish is not my fish!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We call papered dogs purebred even though they are designed to look a certain way (like our fish) and inbreeding can be found in the lines of purebred dogs.

What's the difference between many dogs lines that were inbred to enhance traits vs clowns? It seems similar to me.
Similar, although dogs don’t broadcast spawn like tangs, also I prefer CITIES papers over pedigree documents. ;)
Separate parallel discussion on hatchery raised fish for restocking “wild“ populations-that is a subject absolutely drives me crazy, way more than any discomfort I might have with designer clownfish.
(Source: Salmon Without Rivers- Lichatowich)
I have a gnawing discomfort that designed fish will be introduced (by hobbiests) into the wild where their presence could wreak havoc on wild populations (diseases & niche displacement).
None of that is the animals fault. Applied genetics isn’t a strong suit when success is only measured in breeding numbers and breed popularity amongst consumers.

sorry, we were talking about Clowns and got sidetracked on people.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar, although dogs don’t broadcast spawn like tangs, also I prefer CITIES papers over pedigree documents. ;)
Separate parallel discussion on hatchery raised fish for restocking “wild“ populations-that is a subject absolutely drives me crazy, way more than any discomfort I might have with designer clownfish.
(Source: Salmon Without Rivers- Lichatowich)
I have a gnawing discomfort that designed fish will be introduced (by hobbiests) into the wild where their presence could wreak havoc on wild populations (diseases & niche displacement).
None of that is the animals fault. Applied genetics isn’t a strong suit when success is only measured in breeding numbers and breed popularity amongst consumers.

sorry, we were talking about Clowns and got sidetracked on people.

Well my comment was more hinting at those who don't want designer clowns to exist at all.

Does that mean purebred dogs and cats and other animals should not exist either? I am sure many of us own one or have owned one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my comment was more hinting at those who don't want designer clowns to exist at all.

Does that mean purebred dogs and cats and other animals should not exist either? I am sure many of us own one or have owned one.
Yup- lots of people have paper pups and that isn’t a sin. I was grandstanding for public awareness of issues more impactful to wild animals (Lionfish in the Caribbean, non-native snakes in FLA, and carp introduced everywhere including Mars if the find a thawed pond?), to name a few.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call them billy...

billy trout.jpg

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I am allowed to chime in as I do not have a tank but trying to learn. I love the designer look. It allows us to make our tank be unique and affordable. All of those would be out of the price range for most people if we relied on nature.

As long as we're not hurting the fish, or creating an inferior species (lower life expectancy, more prone to stress and illness, etc.) I'm all for it. I think demand will dictate what breeders and suppliers will bring to the market.

RealAriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you pronounce it?

It’s always truly amazing to see advancements in this hobby. I recently came across an article about how the industry is pushing the boundaries with captive bred fish. In terms of fish breeding most of us are familiar with breeding clowns, dragonets, banggai cardinals, gobies etc. But the one true milestone is breeding tangs.

If the past is any indication it will only be a matter of time before these advancements are passed onto hobbyist. We will unlock the proper schedule to successfully breed tangs in our own homes. Before we know it, we will start to see crossbred species with never before seen color combinations that will no doubt command a huge demand by hobbyists. In turn, that will encourage many folks to transform their basement or guest rooms into a tang breeding centers. It begs the question, just because we can, should we?

Clown fish are a great example of this phenomenon. Early hobbyists were only given the choice between the traditional orange and white ocellaris or percula. Now a days, breeders and hobbyists alike are able to achieve certain looks by selectively breeding out particular traits so that we can have that beautiful designer fish. However, there’s a flipside to this coin by selectively breeding in certain positive traits you also breed in those “not so good” traits. Fish life expectancy drops, they’re more prone to disease, they don’t act like traditional clowns and of course the obvious ones like genetic defects. As that happened the philosophical question becomes how far is too far? Have we already crossed that line?

1. With all that said, do you pronounce it “Designer clown” or “Inbred clown”? Why do say so?

Follow up question:

2. Should captive bred tangs follow the same selective breeding process or should we leave it to the professionals?

Thanks again to @Sisterlimonpot for the QOTD!
clowns.jpg
Varieties.
Inbreeding is the process to attain these patterns and colouration.
'Designer' would imply that these fish do not breed true (true meaning they produce fish of their distinct look.)
Which may be the case in some fishes, but if the market wants then to breed ones alike to meet a demand, then breeding true is the best option (with fishes).

But not the most nature way for sure.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally call them designer fish. I’ve never thought of them as inbred, but I guess it makes more sense. I think they’re absolutely beautiful, but I wouldn’t want a fish that is hurting because of the way it’s body is. Like those yorkies that are small enough to fit in a teacup, I think that is taken too far. However, I would love to see tangs with selected mutations, as long as it doesn’t hurt the fish.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say designer, but it should be left for nature to take its course. I don’t like to see it in the dog industry and I won’t pay for it in this hobby either. I am all for tank breeding to protect our natural reefs. But when you start breeding dog/fish/other you can breed in/out other issues without knowing like aggression/immune deficiencies, etc.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted designer because inbreeding implies that you're breeding brother and sister rather than diversifying your gene pool. I think it's something that, when done responsibly (ie: breeding unrelated pairs, not selecting major physical deformities as the trait you want (see pugs and breathing problems, cavaliers and heart problems, and flowerhorns with extreme horns and arguably in general as an example of a fish that shouldn't exist) and going so far as to cull fish with those deformities from your breeding pool (not necessarily kill them, but let them live out lives without being allowed to breed))

Now, just like with dog breeding, back yard hobbyists who don't take care to breed healthy and hardy animals become the problem with aquaculture. I think that, as goofy as it sounds, having a society that breeders pay to be a part of ensures that breeding is handled appropriately, and ultimately why I'm also in the "leave it to the professionals" category rather than being excited about the idea of home breeding.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as clownfish are concerned I believe they are designer fish and not inbreds. Many of the color variants are found in the wild but just in any serious numbers. Lighting maroon clowns and snowflakes and ones that come to my mind as being wild caught before. So while yes it’s easier to obtain these patterns when we have control of the fish it is still a natural pattern.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them just look strange. And they’ve gotten to the point where people are looking for the perfect pattern. Voting inbred :p

Didn't nature already do that?

1. Not sure, I'm not a fan but to each their own.

2. Let's perfect breeding regular tangs and get them common place in the hobby before we start messing with a good thing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back