Desjardini Sailfin tang fin rot

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the problem actually is but my Desjardini's dorsal fin is looking bad. I don't know if it's fin rot or not...the guy at my LFS thinks it might be from my clowns picking on him at night because he isn't very aggressive but I've never seen a problem between them and he said there would be cotton looking stuff on the fins and there isn't. He was going to sell me some medicated food but I don't think he'll eat it and I don't want to waste my money on it. I soaked some of his sea veggies in garlic but I don't know if that will help. I haven't seen anymore erosion of the fin in a few weeks but I just want to get more opinions. I don't have a picture of it yet but I can try and get one tonight.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has also had heavy breathing for a while but I don't know if that's because he is scared(stressed) a lot when people walk by the tank

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, be careful with anything medicated in the display tank. It must be 100% reef safe if you have a reef. Even then I would still be hesitant and would do the treatment in a QT tank...

If you can catch the fish, put him in a QT of decent size. Use MelaFix marine are the recommended treatment level and feed with a good mysis treated with garlic extreme.

The fin will come back as long as it is healthy.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Melafix in my tank all of the time and he won't even look at any frozen foods that are put in the tank. I soak the Sea veggies in garlic and feed it to him. And the guy at the LFS said it was medicated food that he was going to give me

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the before and after picks

Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404166361.749799.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404166383.715717.jpg

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like someone is picking at the fins. You really need to find out who it is and remove them. Either that or teach the sailfin how to fight.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it hasn't gotten any worse so maybe he put them in their place. And he has been asserting his dominance with my new Niger Trigger

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back