Detected ammonia in established tank

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 100g tank with a 34g sump. I've had it going since October 2020. Recently, I've added a new dry rock and 2 media bricks.

I haven't tested ammonia in a long time. The red sea kit I have, I purchased in July of 2020.

I just tested ammonia because a firefish I have, I haven't seen in a while. I have no idea if it's alive, but thought since I haven't seen it, to test my ammonia. Well, red sea says it's 0.2. I fed reef frenzy about 7 hours ago.

I have a starfish, urchins, bubble tips, lps and softy corals, and other fish (clowns, fox face, yellow tang, a couple wrasses, hawkfish, clams) and they don't seem "bothered". I'm wondering what to do here. My nitrate is about 40, phosphate (using nopox) is at 0.28 (coming down from 0.36, using Hanna, but taking it slow as to not have big swings). My alk, calc, mag are all at the ideal numbers (testing daily) and I use red sea coral pro salt.

I do 10% water changes every Saturday (yesterday), and now that I see this reading I'm wondering two things.

1) could this be a bad test? Could the test kit be expired? If no sensitive inverts appear to have problems and all fish seem ok, what should I trust?

2) if I do another water change today (Sunday), how will the red sea coral pro salt impact my alk, calc and mag? Is that something I shouldn't worry about?

Alk 8.6, calcium 450, mag 1450. Dosing red sea bottles.

Sorry if this is all over the place. I'm posting from my phone, and the textbox isn't very easy to view as I type. Lol

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that your tank has plenty of rock in it, you don't need to worry about ammonia unless there's a mass die off. The red sea ammonia test has a 0.2 ppm error rate, so your real level is most likely zero. I wouldn't bother doing an additional water change. I hope your firefish shows up!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 100g tank with a 34g sump. I've had it going since October 2020. Recently, I've added a new dry rock and 2 media bricks.

I haven't tested ammonia in a long time. The red sea kit I have, I purchased in July of 2020.

I just tested ammonia because a firefish I have, I haven't seen in a while. I have no idea if it's alive, but thought since I haven't seen it, to test my ammonia. Well, red sea says it's 0.2. I fed reef frenzy about 7 hours ago.

I have a starfish, urchins, bubble tips, lps and softy corals, and other fish (clowns, fox face, yellow tang, a couple wrasses, hawkfish, clams) and they don't seem "bothered". I'm wondering what to do here. My nitrate is about 40, phosphate (using nopox) is at 0.28 (coming down from 0.36, using Hanna, but taking it slow as to not have big swings). My alk, calc, mag are all at the ideal numbers (testing daily) and I use red sea coral pro salt.

I do 10% water changes every Saturday (yesterday), and now that I see this reading I'm wondering two things.

1) could this be a bad test? Could the test kit be expired? If no sensitive inverts appear to have problems and all fish seem ok, what should I trust?

2) if I do another water change today (Sunday), how will the red sea coral pro salt impact my alk, calc and mag? Is that something I shouldn't worry about?

Alk 8.6, calcium 450, mag 1450. Dosing red sea bottles.

Sorry if this is all over the place. I'm posting from my phone, and the textbox isn't very easy to view as I type. Lol
It's common to measure the next lowest (above zero) reading on a lot of ammonia tests, whether API, Red Sea, or whatever else. Nothing to worry about.

Lot's of theories. Straight up error. Could be a small amount of ammonia constantly produced but yet to be oxidized measured, and likely to be much lower than 0.25 or 0.2 or whatever is measured, but the test kit's resolution can't go that low. Could be other compounds containing an amino group or something like that being measured, which is of no danger.

Either way, nothing to worry about.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all have wrangled this free ammonia like so many hogs at a rodeo, tied up fast and squealing on the ground. All reefs control their ammonia just fine until something like a massive fish kill from disease or hardware running overcomes natural abilities. At no time do reef tanks lose ammonia control without said insults, nicely done wrangling.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give you my word that in 2009 this post would have gone down very differently, we’d be on page one of thirty hunting for the cause of the death of your bacteria. In 2021, bacteria are not doubted.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all have wrangled this free ammonia like so many hogs at a rodeo, tied up fast and squealing on the ground. All reefs control their ammonia just fine until something like a massive fish kill from disease or hardware running overcomes natural abilities. At no time do reef tanks lose ammonia control without said insults, nicely done wrangling.
I just tested ammonia again this morning (about 2 hours after feeding), and am seeing elevated levels still. Last night I dosed Microbacter7 hoping maybe that would help. Anyway, I read 0.4 - 0.6 on my red sea kit, and my pH is at 8.0 (should be going up to between 8.1-8.2 by this afternoon). I dosed 1 dose of Seachem Prime for the time being, just in case this is turning into a toxic nightmare. Would you say it's a good idea to do a 10% water change this afternoon?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish and inverts reacting? If you had a toxic ammonia event that likely you would see stressed fish and inverts dropping like flies.

a 10% wc wont do a thing as its removing 10% of a small problem and I think you likely have a bad test kit. If you have any crusty stuff around the reagent bottles is a good sign you kit went bad and leaked. Again, observe and add aeration if you see signs of stress.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime causes false reads, your test kits aren't seneye. Ammonia is fine here

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish and inverts reacting? If you had a toxic ammonia event that likely you would see stressed fish and inverts dropping like flies.

a 10% wc wont do a thing as its removing 10% of a small problem and I think you likely have a bad test kit. If you have any crusty stuff around the reagent bottles is a good sign you kit went bad and leaked. Again, observe and add aeration if you see signs of stress.
All of my fish seem ok, but my yellow tang has been hiding and not eating as much over the last few days (which is what sparked me testing ammonia in the first place). My clams, starfish, and other inverts seem fine... One of my bubble tips split last week and now I'm wondering if maybe it split because of the ammonia?

What's the best way to handle this? Haha, I have no idea. My Nitrates have been around 40 and phosphates at 0.25 this morning (using NoPox slowly to bring down).

I added 1 dose of prime.. I can add more.. And I can do water changes, but not sure how the Red Sea Coral Pro would mess with things.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post full tank shot pic, that's how we proof readings

Clear water

Fish position normal

Open corals

Vs

Hazy

Fish lethargic and shown that way

Closed up tight corals, from being burned.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime causes false reads, your test kits aren't seneye. Ammonia is fine here
I just dosed Prime after I tested Ammonia at about 0.4, which seems elevated from the 0.2 yesterday. Not sure exactly what to do..

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post full tank shot pic, that's how we proof readings

Clear water

Fish position normal

Open corals

Vs

Hazy

Fish lethargic and shown that way

Closed up tight corals, from being burned.
I'll post a picture this afternoon, unfortunately, work doesn't just stop for me and figuring this out haha.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take no action at all, the entire event was a false read.

Hth

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original readings needed tan conversion that's what caused alarm

After tan conversion they were in safe range

Tan= move decimal over one place to the left vs current reading. That's the form of ammonia we care about.

one other funny aspect: even after tan conversion the color tube kit is still wrong heh. They can't read thousandths ppm which is where a reef of your age will run at.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wonder if prime affects seneye

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210712_130809.jpg
    20210712_130809.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210712_130816.jpg
    20210712_130816.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210712_130841.jpg
    20210712_130841.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 97

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back