Devil Damsel & Clownfish together “Oh my”!

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the Aquarium Police come after me, READ!!
I have complete knowledge of these fish being cousins of each other and it’s NOT ideal to house the two species together. (insert checkmark) My tank is my tank, your tank is your tank. This is my tank, thank you.

Nice, now that the Aquarium Police have knowledge that I have knowledge of what could possibly come. I’m here to share, I added a damsel fish to the aquarium and all has been well so far. I’m in front of my aquarium on a daily basis (hours) and I plan on watching and recording the progress unfold. With tips/tricks to how or what I did for cohabiting these two.
;Pompus ~~ The clownfish have established their territory within the aquarium. First introduced to the tank and have enjoyed every bit of it. I pulled the trigger on a damsel and this is how I did it.

1.) I picked out the smallest damsel at the LFS. (smallest compared to my two clownfish) I also wanted the damsel to enter the tank seeing an already larger fish and use it as the “scare tactic” the “Oh I don’t want to mess with them”.
2.) Acclimated the damsel for a complete hour.
Floating bag then drip acclimation.
3.) **this is where I did something I thought would help** After acclimating the damsel I placed the damsel in a clear container with holes (protection) and free floated that container in the aquarium. *Hoping that would have helped give all the fish some time to see each other and it wasn’t a surprise to them all.
4.) Released the damsel fish into the aquarium 2hrs. after free floating. (Total of 3hrs. the fish were seeing each other prior to being together.)

- during the acclimating time, the clownfish were at one end of the tank while the damsel fish was at the other end. The clownfish periodically would approach bag, look, smell and swim away. The damsel fish stayed a dark grey in color during this time due to stress. The moment it was released to swim freely, the blue color came back really fast. All three fish are swimming together now and seem to be paying no mind at all to each other. First feeding was a success also with no fighting.-

Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for more to come. (will have updates/progression attached to this thread post).

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Azure Damsel and a pair of clowns in a 40g for almost a year. They get along fine. All fish have different personalities, nothing wrong with a little trial and error to see what works. On top of the Damsel and clown, I also have the "dreaded" sixline wrasse and "killer" orchid dottyback. Most people would tell me that mix of fish wouldn't work, but it's been working for me for months. Always keep a fish trap on hand tho, as some fish mature and get older, there is always a chance of agression.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Azure Damsel and a pair of clowns in a 40g for almost a year. They get along fine. All fish have different personalities, nothing wrong with a little trial and error to see what works. On top of the Damsel and clown, I also have the "dreaded" sixline wrasse and "killer" orchid dottyback. Most people would tell me that mix of fish wouldn't work, but it's been working for me for months. Always keep a fish trap on hand tho, as some fish mature and get older, there is always a chance of agression.

A sixline wrasse (Da da damnn) lol!! I’ll always be keeping an eye on the trio to make sure nothing gets too too crazy. Thanks!

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. I also have three striped damsels living in a 47 gallon tank with a single clown. Never had a bit of aggression. The was also the last addition. Been together for over a year now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back