Devil's fingers issue

Aslam Kavde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to the marine side of things, started 11 months ago. In the last few months I've started to add more corals and fish to the tank.
Recently I added a devil's fingers leather to the tank which was attached to a rock bought from a fellow hobbiest - done the usual process of going through coral dip.
A couple of days after it went into the DT, saw a couple of aiptasias growing through the rock so took it out and into the quarantine tank. So many of the nasty buggers came out that I had to frag the leather and bin the rock. So far no sign of them in the DT - phew!
The leather then went from upright to droopy and now it has some sort of cocoon over it, do I need to worry about it or leave it for a while?
I've attached a couple of pictures.

thumbnail_20191007_155357.jpg thumbnail_20191017_085120.jpg

OP
OP
Aslam Kavde

Aslam Kavde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT is 38l with a small pump for flow so it's not making the leather move.
I tried the baster which blew it open but after a few minutes it closed up again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
najer is correct - hardy they are but they require steady flow, NOT blast of current. The film you see is an unsuccessful shed that requires flow for separation.
A turkey baster will help loosen that film. Moderate lighting also and you have a happy leather!!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jon, I hope so

I got a tank, tore down from someone, and one of the rocks had a little used-band aid looking nasty thing on it...... The rock remained out of water, just closed in a stinky storage tote full of other rocks for 2+ days. Eventually I got the tank setup and filled and restarted the tank etc...

That used-nasty-band-aid is a nice big Devil’s hand with plenty of fuzzy polyps. I even removed it from the rock with a razorblade and new tiny ones are growing. In the back of the tank there is a 1.5” fat piece growing and connected to the bare-bottom...... I have no idea where that piece even came from.

They are like tanks

OP
OP
Aslam Kavde

Aslam Kavde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved the pumps flow to point at the frag and got the baster to blast off the skin and it came off but made the whole tank murky and stinky so I'm doing a water change now, check out the pics

thumbnail_20191018_103042.jpg thumbnail_20191018_105412.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When dead, they melt away and as mentioned, a Pinky size can turn into a 12" Umbrella !!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back