Di resin chamber not filling up

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Never seen this before
Changed my filters and replaced the resin about 2 weeks ago. Nothing different for the first couple cans full of water but upon starting a third can I noticed the di resin chamber was only half full
Anyone experience this?

IMG_3329.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this before
Changed my filters and replaced the resin about 2 weeks ago. Nothing different for the first couple cans full of water but upon starting a third can I noticed the di resin chamber was only half full
Anyone experience this?

IMG_3329.jpeg
Yes, it is normal. That is only on the outside of the chamber. It means your system is sealed. You can burp it out by loosening canister while it is running, then tighten it back up after air is removed.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes, it is normal. That is only on the outside of the chamber. It means your system is sealed. You can burp it out by loosening canister while it is running, then tighten it back up after air is removed.
10-4 thanks
Not sure if I just never noticed it but in 12 years of being in the hobby iv never caught it doing that lol

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 thanks
Not sure if I just never noticed it but in 12 years of being in the hobby iv never caught it doing that lol
I noticed I had a lot of air collecting in the winter time, and had to burp it a lot. I don't think it hurts anything, but I just do it.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your DI Cartridge is an axial flow cartridge - meaning water goes in one end (the bottom) and out the other end. Because the bottom is submerged in water, the trapped air has no way to get out. That's why you see this issue in your DI housings, but not in the carbon block and sediment filter housings. Those filters are radial flow - and the air can move through the side of the filter and out of the housing.

Russ

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your DI Cartridge is an axial flow cartridge - meaning water goes in one end (the bottom) and out the other end. Because the bottom is submerged in water, the trapped air has no way to get out. That's why you see this issue in your DI housings, but not in the carbon block and sediment filter housings. Those filters are radial flow - and the air can move through the side of the filter and out of the housing.

Russ
Do you think I should just burp the system or something?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should just burp the system or something?
Sure - that's the easy/quick solution.

There is a downside of having that air trapped in there. If your RODI uses a common hydraulic Auto Shut Off Valve, even after your float valve or other valve at the DI output closes, you'll have to wait for the system to compress this captured air bubble for your system to shut off.

To burp it - with the system running unscrew the DI housing about a 1/4 turn or so - just enough to break the seal at the oring. You'll see some bubbles and "spitting" as the air escapes (might want to have a towel handy). The water level in the housing will start to rise immediately as the water displaces the escaping air. When the water level almost reaches the oring up by the threads, cinch the housing tight. This will take you all of about 30 seconds.

Russ

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back