DI Resin Changing Color after 5 Gallons With New Home Filtration In Place

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gurus - I recently had a charcoal flitration system put into my house due to an "all natural fertilizer" farm down my street contaminated everybody's well with PFAS (a forever chemical that causes cancer). Prior to this, I was using a 4 stage BRS RO system and the DI resin never changed color. Since I now have very low TDS coming from the tap and a massavie amount of mechanical and carbon filtration coming from the tap I was just using the DI resin stage plus the RO membranes. The DI canister is literally changing color just after filling 5 gallons. Am I pushing too much pressure through it possibly? Should reinsert the charcoal and poly fliters to the RODI system? Thanks in advance! I was reading some of the other posts related to DI burning out fast due to elevated PH from home systems but out of my tap is only 7.8 vs 7.0 before I had the filter put in.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need at least mechanical filters before the DI resins.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gurus - I recently had a charcoal flitration system put into my house due to an "all natural fertilizer" farm down my street contaminated everybody's well with PFAS (a forever chemical that causes cancer). Prior to this, I was using a 4 stage BRS RO system and the DI resin never changed color. Since I now have very low TDS coming from the tap and a massavie amount of mechanical and carbon filtration coming from the tap I was just using the DI resin stage plus the RO membranes. The DI canister is literally changing color just after filling 5 gallons. Am I pushing too much pressure through it possibly? Should reinsert the charcoal and poly fliters to the RODI system? Thanks in advance! I was reading some of the other posts related to DI burning out fast due to elevated PH from home systems but out of my tap is only 7.8 vs 7.0 before I had the filter put in.
When incoming TDS is north of 5ppm, your DI will expend quickly. There’s something there it’s pulling!

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues like that too since I’m on well water. I added 2 stages before my DI of the individual resins (depending on which changes the most you’ll know what your water issue is and not have to change the others as often) and that helped a lot. I also added a canister before all those to remove pharmaceuticals, etc. I have 6 different canisters running and after like 3 years of no changes I’m getting 2ppm out of the whole system.

I have the charcoal, RO, pharm, resin 1, resin 2, and then the mixed DI.

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 will surely eat up DI filters, Check your pH and alkalinity of the RO water then use the "CO2 ph+alk chart" on google to see if you may have CO2. Or just buy a spectrapure CO2 test kit which is the best way to verify

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back