DI Resin - Do I need to go Pro?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've currently got 2 stages of the mixed-bed DI resin. I start with 7-10 TDS and end with 0. It's kind of hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like either the cation beads or anion beads (I forget which is which) are being used up and changing color MUCH faster than the other. If you look closely, it appears one of the colors is used up all the way to the top while the other is only about 20% used up. Am I seeing that right? Do I need to switch to the Pro 3-stage setup with independent cation and anion stages? Can I test the water to see what might be eating up the resin so quickly? Or is what I'm seeing in the canister normal?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5630.JPG

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if you can decide with mixed resins which is being exhausted first? The layers I can see are exhausted and exhausting from the bottom up?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramines will crush your DI resin if you aren’t using carbon blocks specific for removing chlorine. And if it’s chlorine, the cation resin would be exhausted first, turning the rust color in your photo.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chloramines will crush your DI resin if you aren’t using carbon blocks specific for removing chlorine. And if it’s chlorine, the cation resin would be exhausted first, turning the rust color in your photo.
My city publishes a water quality report each year. They report using chlorine. I assume if they used chloramine, they would have to report that. Maybe worth making a phone call though.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t know if you can decide with mixed resins which is being exhausted first? The layers I can see are exhausted and exhausting from the bottom up?

Yeah the beads are 2 different colors. If one of them is changing colors faster than the other, you'd see that - which is what I believe I'm seeing.

Bottom -> top is normal

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back