DI Resin question - TDS up instead of Down

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So last week I checked my TDS coming out of my ro/di. Was 45 TDS.. crazy thing.. let me explain first.. my ro/di has many stages.. two ro membranes followed by two or three DI canisters.. the TDS going in is was 125. After the Membranes was 02. Then after the DI it was 45.. So I replaced all the DI resins ect. I thought perhaps the di resin was releasing back what it had taken away.... so I changed out the resins...

Now i still have 125 TDS going in,,, out of the membranes is still 02 ... maybe 04. TDS

That is all good... but. now I still have ,,, after two canisters of fresh DI 15 TDS... Using mixed blue color changing...

Any thoughts on this.. ? And follow up .. are all Resins created equal. ???

Last edited:

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tds probe/meter broken? verify the reading with another meter.
do you have a handheld one?

J.

Got2bSkUnKeD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS is basically a measure of conductivity to represent dissolved ions in solution. It’s unlikely, but check your probe if it requires calibration. Make sure the container used to measure TDS is clean. Ensure no water is bypassing the resin column or that the column wasn’t exposed to a high flow. If the resin is channeled, it could result in an internal bypass of the column(s).

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.... so I compared to my handheld that I ordered to confirm the TDS I am seeing.. same..

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have some suggestions on some di resin suppliers... other than BRS.. would like to try some others..

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean and recalibrate your TDS meter

Bob went into the Doctor one time and said, "Doctor, Doctor, I hurt all over! I hurt here and here and here".... showing the Doctor with his index where he hurt.

Doctor examined Bob and said "Bob, your body doesn't hurt in all these places. It's your index finger. You have a broken index finger!"

Sometime we butt U M E our instrumentation is giving us perfect results.

Last edited:

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Anyone have some suggestions on some di resin suppliers... other than BRS.. would like to try some others..
i used to buy from the Filter guys ( who build my filter system) now I buy from BRS because I usually buy other things

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So last week I checked my TDS coming out of my ro/di. Was 45 TDS.. crazy thing.. let me explain first.. my ro/di has many stages.. two ro membranes followed by two or three DI canisters.. the TDS going in is was 125. After the Membranes was 02. Then after the DI it was 45.. So I replaced all the DI resins ect. I thought perhaps the di resin was releasing back what it had taken away.... so I changed out the resins...

Now i still have 125 TDS going in,,, out of the membranes is still 02 ... maybe 04. TDS

That is all good... but. now I still have ,,, after two canisters of fresh DI 15 TDS... Using mixed blue color changing...

Any thoughts on this.. ? And follow up .. are all Resins created equal. ???
This kind of puzzle me that your TDS go down and then up again. It’s doesn’t makes sense

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chicago water... 120 TDS. water to profiler floss... to carbon block... to dual membrane..02 TDS . to MIX bead resin .....out... is 15...

I have three dual tds meters attached along this course... so has anyone had resin that leached out...for lack of better words and increased the tds..? Very strange.. and again..... product water is and was tested against a hand held that was reading the same 14 TDS

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST AN update.. I decided to take another hour or so and mix up the cartridges and see what was what with the hand held and the in lines TDS readers.. all inline are good and accurate.. I ended up tossing two cartridges that were not up taking but rather releasing. I established this by removing them .. end result with a new fresh di resin cartridge from a new bag ,,meaning the bulk of resine bag it came from I just opened with a scissors today...readings are zero TDS,,, I then added the older ones back at the end of the line and got 4 or 6 TDS confirming that they were not up taking but rather releasing.. The two failing cartridges were packed and added to today but the bag the resin came from I had for a month. Again,, while these were made up today.. they came from an older opened bag of bulk resine.. I do believe it was sealed.. Just a note to the story.. so at this point I have some left in the old bag which I will not use but will test again later on when time allows..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back