Diagnose Sick Yellow Coris Wrasse?

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I added a yellow coris wrasse to my quarantine tank about 5 days ago. I have not started any kind of treatment yet. I like to observe for a few days before I start any medications.

I noticed today when I got home from work that the wrasse has a red spot on its tail and is very lethargic. Swimming a little but mostly hanging out towards the bottom of the tank.

I am not exactly sure what is wrong with him and am hoping someone can help. There is also a small Tomini tang in the tank with him but I havent noticed any aggression between the two at all. A quick google has me thinking it might be uronema?? Looks almost like internal bleeding?

Meds I have on hand -
Furian-2
Metroplex
Formalin
Prazipro

Any help at all would be amazing!
Thanks!
0.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that sure looks like Uronema, and with the lethargy at the same time, it almost certainly is. This species and green chromis get it SO often, I can't tell you why. I hate to tell you this, but I do not have an effective treatment for this. We used to use chloroquine for mild cases, but now that isn't available. Dips don't work because these protozoans live down in the muscle and only come to the surface when the infection is really bad.

Here is a link to an article I wrote about it:

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that sure looks like Uronema, and with the lethargy at the same time, it almost certainly is. This species and green chromis get it SO often, I can't tell you why. I hate to tell you this, but I do not have an effective treatment for this. We used to use chloroquine for mild cases, but now that isn't available. Dips don't work because these protozoans live down in the muscle and only come to the surface when the infection is really bad.

Here is a link to an article I wrote about it:

Jay
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing more reading and it definitely looks like Uronema to me too. It apears there is little to no hope for the wrasse :(

Do you have any advice on how I should proceed with the Tomini Tang? As of right now it looks healthy with no obvious signs of disease. I will obviously separate the two fish. I did read something from Humblefish about a formalin dip and treating with metroplex? Does this seem appropriate to you?

I would hate to loose both fish. Or worse spread the Uronema to my main tank assuming the Tomini tang makes it through quarantine.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing more reading and it definitely looks like Uronema to me too. It apears there is little to no hope for the wrasse :(

Do you have any advice on how I should proceed with the Tomini Tang? As of right now it looks healthy with no obvious signs of disease. I will obviously separate the two fish. I did read something from Humblefish about a formalin dip and treating with metroplex? Does this seem appropriate to you?

I would hate to loose both fish. Or worse spread the Uronema to my main tank assuming the Tomini tang makes it through quarantine.

Thanks!
I've never had a tang develop Uronema. I can't say it will never happen, but I've never seen it. Uronema is found in most established aquariums, for some reason, new fish of certain species get hammered by it.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a tang develop Uronema. I can't say it will never happen, but I've never seen it. Uronema is found in most established aquariums, for some reason, new fish of certain species get hammered by it.

Jay

So it sounds like I am fairly safe to just continue on quarantining the tang as usual? And you don't sound worried about contaminating the display tank since it is found in most aquariums anyway?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I have better luck next time with a Coris Wrasse.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like I am fairly safe to just continue on quarantining the tang as usual? And you don't sound worried about contaminating the display tank since it is found in most aquariums anyway?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I have better luck next time with a Coris Wrasse.
I think so, but please understand that identifying disease just from a picture isn’t 100%, so keep a close eye on the tang.
Jay

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back