diagnosis and treatment for baby yellow tang please

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my baby yellow tang had some white spots on him. I have not seen him scratching or flashing maybe twiching but he has done that since I got him. I don't know if this is ich or something else because I have not seen him scratching so I'm not sure how to treat. I included some pics.

IMG_0987 (3).JPG IMG_0992 (2).JPG IMG_0988 (2).JPG IMG_0979 (2).JPG IMG_0987 (2).JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Plan on quaranting this fish. Appears to be Oodinum and will need to be treated with copper based medication - Recommended. . . Copper safe. With use of copper, you will also want to acquire a reliable copper test kit ( NOT API brand) and add oxygen with use of an air stone
Once parasite has subsided, focus on diet to address the HLLE in which. . SHAME on shipper for shipping a fish with this on it.
Diet recommendation:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on quaranting this fish. Appears to be Oodinum and will need to be treated with copper based medication - Recommended. . . Copper safe. With use of copper, you will also want to acquire a reliable copper test kit ( NOT API brand) and add oxygen with use of an air stone
Once parasite has subsided, focus on diet to address the HLLE in which. . SHAME on shipper for shipping a fish with this on it.
Diet recommendation:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Yellow tang came from biota ground and is very small and almost see-through. He is a very small baby and can see his bones so I wouldn't think hll. I have copper power that I can start with but will go slow because he is so small.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yellow tang came from biota ground and is very small and almost see-through. He is a very small baby and can see his bones so I wouldn't think hll. I have copper power that I can start with but will go slow because he is so small.
As stated, dont worry about any HLLE. A good diet will address that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my baby yellow tang had some white spots on him. I have not seen him scratching or flashing maybe twiching but he has done that since I got him. I don't know if this is ich or something else because I have not seen him scratching so I'm not sure how to treat. I included some pics.

IMG_0987 (3).JPG IMG_0992 (2).JPG IMG_0988 (2).JPG IMG_0979 (2).JPG IMG_0987 (2).JPG

The large spots on the fins indicate Cryptocaryon, marine ich. Did this fish come straight from Biota, or was it mixed with other fish?

A lot of these Biota tangs develop "epithelial thinning" which looks like HLLE. I don't know why they have this. Some outgrow it, and others stay that way.

IMO - you need to get this fish into a coppersafe treatment right away, as well as any other fish it is housed with.

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large spots on the fins indicate Cryptocaryon, marine ich. Did this fish come straight from Biota, or was it mixed with other fish?

A lot of these Biota tangs develop "epithelial thinning" which looks like HLLE. I don't know why they have this. Some outgrow it, and others stay that way.

IMO - you need to get this fish into a coppersafe treatment right away, as well as any other fish it is housed with.

Jay
I got him and a court jester gobby from biota. They are in a 20 long together but I did take a hob filter filled with bio media from a established tank when I set the tank up for them. I did this so it would be cycled when they came in. They have been doing great and eating well. I noticed the white spots on the tang yesterday but I had to put my glasses on to see it well. I started copper power last night. Should I take the 7 to 8 days to raise the copper to therapeutic level or is this urgent?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What through me off is I haven't noticed him scratching. I have seen him kinda sporadically dart across the tank every now and then.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him and a court jester gobby from biota. They are in a 20 long together but I did take a hob filter filled with bio media from a established tank when I set the tank up for them. I did this so it would be cycled when they came in. They have been doing great and eating well. I noticed the white spots on the tang yesterday but I had to put my glasses on to see it well. I started copper power last night. Should I take the 7 to 8 days to raise the copper to therapeutic level or is this urgent?

No - you need to get to an accurate full dose of copper in 24 hours. This 7 to 8 days thing is a huge mistake, I am trying really hard to stamp it out. Copper takes 72 hours to even start to work, and it only starts to work when it reaches a full dose. That means your fish wouldn't begin to go into remission until 10 days, it would likely be dead by then. Very often I hear, "I was slowly raising my copper levels and on day 6, all my fish died from copper poisoning". Actually - the fish died from an uncontrolled protozoan infection.

Ramping up copper slowly was something that used to be done with copper/citric acid solutions. These are very harsh solutions. You needed to bring the copper up over 48 hours or sensitive fish like pygmy angel might die. For some strange reason, this idea got transferred over to organically bound coppers (which are much safer) and then, the two days got stretched to 7 or 8. I routinely put fish directly into Coppersafe treated water at full dose.

Jay

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I confirmed Ich on my fish, I would do 1/2 strength CopperSafe Day 1, full strength by Day 2... or if it was more of an emergency, full-strength CopperSafe right away. @Jay Hemdal knows his stuff!

PS: I really didn’t know anyone sold fish so emaciated you could see it’s bones!

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you need to get to an accurate full dose of copper in 24 hours. This 7 to 8 days thing is a huge mistake, I am trying really hard to stamp it out. Copper takes 72 hours to even start to work, and it only starts to work when it reaches a full dose. That means your fish wouldn't begin to go into remission until 10 days, it would likely be dead by then. Very often I hear, "I was slowly raising my copper levels and on day 6, all my fish died from copper poisoning". Actually - the fish died from an uncontrolled protozoan infection.

Ramping up copper slowly was something that used to be done with copper/citric acid solutions. These are very harsh solutions. You needed to bring the copper up over 48 hours or sensitive fish like pygmy angel might die. For some strange reason, this idea got transferred over to organically bound coppers (which are much safer) and then, the two days got stretched to 7 or 8. I routinely put fish directly into Coppersafe treated water at full dose.

Jay
Thank you for that information. This applies for copper power also?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ramping up copper slowly was something that used to be done with copper/citric acid solutions. These are very harsh solutions. You needed to bring the copper up over 48 hours or sensitive fish like pygmy angel might die. For some strange reason, this idea got transferred over to organically bound coppers (which are much safer) and then, the two days got stretched to 7 or 8. I routinely put fish directly into Coppersafe treated water at full
I have been dosing copper and have it at half strength now. The yellow tang is looking better today but I'm sure it is because the ich has fallen off and is getting ready for the next stage. meanwhile I have another issue. I figure I will ask here instead of making a new thread. I have a clown tang in another QT tank that has a white upper lip. he is eating good but it concerns me. He is in copper power at 2.5ppm and I'm not sure what to do or what it really is. He is very fast and camera shy but I did get a few pics.

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1020 (2).JPG IMG_1018 (2).JPG IMG_1015 (2).JPG IMG_1014 (3).JPG IMG_1014 (2).JPG IMG_1001.JPG

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing copper and have it at half strength now. The yellow tang is looking better today but I'm sure it is because the ich has fallen off and is getting ready for the next stage. meanwhile I have another issue. I figure I will ask here instead of making a new thread. I have a clown tang in another QT tank that has a white upper lip. he is eating good but it concerns me. He is in copper power at 2.5ppm and I'm not sure what to do or what it really is. He is very fast and camera shy but I did get a few pics.

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1020 (2).JPG IMG_1018 (2).JPG IMG_1015 (2).JPG IMG_1014 (3).JPG IMG_1014 (2).JPG IMG_1001.JPG
Fish often get injured mouths in captivity, but this is slightly above the most protruding part of the mouth (that would hit something first). Did it show up all at once, or gradually grow in size?
At this point, since it is still eating, I wouldn't treat it. If you do decide to treat, the choice would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish often get injured mouths in captivity, but this is slightly above the most protruding part of the mouth (that would hit something first). Did it show up all at once, or gradually grow in size?
At this point, since it is still eating, I wouldn't treat it. If you do decide to treat, the choice would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay
I will say I just noticed it yesterday afternoon. Last Friday he was in a 90 QT tank and I introduced a new gold rim tang and it didn't go so great. The clown didn't take to kindly to the gold rim even though the gold rim was bigger. They got into a fight and the gold rim has a mark on his side but it looks to be healing well. I separated the clown and the gold rim. After I separated them I didn't noticed anything wrong with the clown. I have no Idea if the white upper lip is from the fight between the two or not. I just noticed his upper lip was white yesterday afternoon. I do have some KanaPlex. If I need to treat can I treat with KanaPlex while in copper? Since I noticed the white lip I have also been soaking his food in selcon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I just noticed it yesterday afternoon. Last Friday he was in a 90 QT tank and I introduced a new gold rim tang and it didn't go so great. The clown didn't take to kindly to the gold rim even though the gold rim was bigger. They got into a fight and the gold rim has a mark on his side but it looks to be healing well. I separated the clown and the gold rim. After I separated them I didn't noticed anything wrong with the clown. I have no Idea if the white upper lip is from the fight between the two or not. I just noticed his upper lip was white yesterday afternoon. I do have some KanaPlex. If I need to treat can I treat with KanaPlex while in copper? Since I noticed the white lip I have also been soaking his food in selcon.
You can treat Kanaplex with copper, but I would just wait a day of so - if it doesn't grow in size and the fish is still eating, leaving it alone may be the safest course of action.

Jay

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

@Jay Hemdal Have you been seeing a pattern of problems with the biota yellow tangs? I ask because I'd been planning on purchasing one for a new build this fall.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Have you been seeing a pattern of problems with the biota yellow tangs? I ask because I'd been planning on purchasing one for a new build this fall.
Not just Biota tangs, but Rising Tide also. I think it is a developmental problem of some sort - obviously a really tough species to raise.
Jay

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just Biota tangs, but Rising Tide also. I think it is a developmental problem of some sort - obviously a really tough species to raise.
Jay

Are you seeing/hearing about high disease prevalence also? Or just the developmental problems?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing/hearing about high disease prevalence also? Or just the developmental problems?
No - I'm not hearing of any real issue with protozoans or flukes, but if the fish left Biota and went through a dealer, they can/will pick up issues that way.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back