Diagnosis and Treatment of Pinched Mantle Disease in Giant Clams.

bmhair03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture from today. There was no mucus this morning or since FWD . Thanks you OrionN for you help. They look very happy today.
IMG_4016.JPG

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pathogen are often very species specific, having them jump from one species to another in the same genus is already a rare thing. PMD pathogen does not affect bivalve other than the Tridacna genus.
Hi OrionN, can't believe you are following this Post now when I could definitely use your help. 3 1/2" squamosa clam could possibly have pmd. What do you think. Have only had it for 1 week.

15991769339067392424245560398353.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look like a very stressed Squamosa. He was recently healthy with plenty of growth on the shell. I think he likely stressed or injured (like temperature shock) during shipping. He does not look like ha have PMD.
Keep him save from scavenger and he may recover. Often scavenger will attack clams in this level of stress. Good luck

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look like a very stressed Squamosa. He was recently healthy with plenty of growth on the shell. I think he likely stressed or injured (like temperature shock) during shipping. He does not look like ha have PMD.
Keep him save from scavenger and he may recover. Often scavenger will attack clams in this level of stress. Good luck
Thank you so much. And thank you for taking time to get back so quickly. I really appreciated and enjoyed your article, advice on this subject. It really perplexed me that my clam is not doing well today and was fine yesterday and a week before and so on.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like temperature shock. I had ordered a squamosa from a certain vendor who packed two ice packs which froze the clam to death. I filed DOA telling them the ice packs were overkill and the next day they sent a replacement that had been killed in the same way

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like temperature shock. I had ordered a squamosa from a certain vendor who packed two ice packs which froze the clam to death. I filed DOA telling them the ice packs were overkill and the next day they sent a replacement that had been killed in the same way
My clam has passed . It's weird that you can get attached to clams. I thought maybe my babylonia snail might have done some damage to it because he was out of the sand bed not more than a hour after I had placed my clam. So now the snail is passed because my scarlet hermit crab got him for the shell. The scarlet eyeballed him since he wasn't hidden in the sand. Carma, good old carma.

1599575619080517797068934451384.jpg

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam has passed . It's weird that you can get attached to clams. I thought maybe my babylonia snail might have done some damage to it because he was out of the sand bed not more than a hour after I had placed my clam. So now the snail is passed because my scarlet hermit crab got him for the shell. The scarlet eyeballed him since he wasn't hidden in the sand. Carma, good old carma.

1599575619080517797068934451384.jpg
The babylonia snail might not be clam safe, but it is not surprising if some of clam's tissues were necrosis due to exposure to extreme temperatures the smell of death will lure it out.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The babylonia snail might not be clam safe, but it is not surprising if some of clam's tissues were necrosis due to exposure to extreme temperatures the smell of death will lure it out.
Thanks, I was searching for a couple of days to find that snail. I knew that there was a chance that it could get my clam. But I hadn't seen it for almost a year so I thought maybe it died.
I have had my hermit for 3 years or better. If I decide to get another clam it won't be in danger of snail attacks. I will use a different vendor as there were two ice packs which were thawed. Thanks again ;)

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was searching for a couple of days to find that snail. I knew that there was a chance that it could get my clam. But I hadn't seen it for almost a year so I thought maybe it died.
I have had my hermit for 3 years or better. If I decide to get another clam it won't be in danger of snail attacks. I will use a different vendor as there were two ice packs which were thawed. Thanks again ;)
You’re welcome! I think I know where you get it lol

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! I think I know where you get it lol
Sorry for the bother but, I have a GDM coming today different vendor but was supposed to get here the same day as my clam did. Everyone is saying clam safe, no problems at all. But now that my clam has passed should I even try a clam again especially my hermit has eaten every snail I have, he may eat my clam too. Very torn about getting another clam.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bother but, I have a GDM coming today different vendor but was supposed to get here the same day as my clam did. Everyone is saying clam safe, no problems at all. But now that my clam has passed should I even try a clam again especially my hermit has eaten every snail I have, he may eat my clam too. Very torn about getting another clam.
Hello! I have zero experience regarding moray eels. Maybe you can test with some live clams from grocery store to try if it shows any interest. I have had good experience from ordering ORA section in LA and AquaSD

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have zero experience regarding moray eels. Maybe you can test with some live clams from grocery store to try if it shows any interest. I have had good experience from ordering ORA section in LA and AquaSD

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I got my squamosa lol, so you weren't 100% right. I'm more worried about my scarlet hermit eating a clam now that he has a sudden taste for my snails, I didn't mind him eating the babylonia but he is cleaning out the nassarius too.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I got my squamosa lol, so you weren't 100% right. I'm more worried about my scarlet hermit eating a clam now that he has a sudden taste for my snails, I didn't mind him eating the babylonia but he is cleaning out the nassarius too.
Yours looked more alive lol. That’s how mine looked from another vendor

FC11AD90-0372-4746-ABAF-A31A1AB4A1FA.jpeg

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looked more alive lol. That’s how mine looked from another vendor

FC11AD90-0372-4746-ABAF-A31A1AB4A1FA.jpeg
Oh geeze sorry :confused: yea mine was fine for a week and a half, it reacted to light, movement, and then it just went down hill. If I decide to try again I would get crocea then if nothing happens maybe a squamosa again.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geeze sorry :confused: yea mine was fine for a week and a half, it reacted to light, movement, and then it just went down hill. If I decide to try again I would get crocea then if nothing happens maybe a squamosa again.
Do you ever watch "The Inappropriate Reefer" on you tube? He is awesome and learning as he goes. He has been to all kinds of reef appaloosa Look him up sometimes.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever watch "The Inappropriate Reefer" on you tube? He is awesome and learning as he goes. He has been to all kinds of reef appaloosa Look him up sometimes.
Just incase you want to see my GDM it arrives in half an hour, FedEx just sent me an email. Interested?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back