Diagnosis and Treatment of Pinched Mantle Disease in Giant Clams.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the protozoa responsible use other clam species as hosts? I lost a crocea that I couldn't do fwd on because of the way it was attached to the rockwork. I have(assuming they are still alive) some other non tridacna clams in the fuge. I'm curious if a conventional fallow period will work with these other clam species present?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photo, but what do you think.....?
IMG_8530.jpg
That clam does not look like it suffer from PMD.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the protozoa responsible use other clam species as hosts? I lost a crocea that I couldn't do fwd on because of the way it was attached to the rockwork. I have(assuming they are still alive) some other non tridacna clams in the fuge. I'm curious if a conventional fallow period will work with these other clam species present?
Pathogen are often very species specific, having them jump from one species to another in the same genus is already a rare thing. PMD pathogen does not affect bivalve other than the Tridacna genus.

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up, I've been having a problem with my giant clam. He spawned in my DT and turned my tank so cloudy, so I moved him to my frag yank for a few weeks. Just transferred him back a week ago and looks like he lost color and mantles retracted. Does he look like he has PMD?

20200714_181648.jpg 20200714_181717.jpg

John Rebman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good article. I too have a love for clams but I am having a very hard time getting them to do well in my tank.
I have a new clam i purchased about three weeks ago. I dripped him for several hours then placed him in my tank. He seemed to be doing very well and was opening fully.
I noticed after reading your article what appeared to be a small area where the mantle was pinched. I wanted to get ahead of anything that might cause a decline so I tried your FWD process.
I placed him back in the tank after the dip. It took awhile for him to open up. He now has a big elongated hole opposite what I think is the outlet valve? I can see clear down into the inside of the shell.
Do you have any idea what caused the large opening?
When you do a FWD do you drip the FW to bring the salinity back up before moving it back into you tank.
I only had one other clam and it eas fine one day then was gaping open the next day. It too had the same big hole/ tare and died shortly there after.
This clam seems to be holding his own but I am wondering if anyone else has
had this happen to their clam. Will it repair itself over time or is it doomed to eventually die?'
What did I do wrong?

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up, I've been having a problem with my giant clam. He spawned in my DT and turned my tank so cloudy, so I moved him to my frag yank for a few weeks. Just transferred him back a week ago and looks like he lost color and mantles retracted. Does he look like he has PMD?

20200714_181648.jpg 20200714_181717.jpg
I’ve had 2 clams spawn on me. Both died, really bummed me out. I read something about the spawning even being both a sign of stress and and also a sign of good health. Sadly both of mine must have been an act of stress. Another member on here, the dude with the giant gigas, has a spawning event every year and the clam keeps on truckin. Not sure if there is anything you can do if the clam is ready to bail on ya... considering it has been 2 week’s, it may still make it.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be but you GOOD pictures several days in a roll. Then I can see and give you my best guess. I described what PMD is and how it differ from other cause mantle irritation. Please reread that part. I can not see any detail in your blue out picture.

eagerreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be but you GOOD pictures several days in a roll. Then I can see and give you my best guess. I described what PMD is and how it differ from other cause mantle irritation. Please reread that part. I can not see any detail in your blue out picture.

Ok, I will take some filtered pics over the next few days and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like PMD. If it is it will slowly get worst as the day go on. Better in AM. It will have strands of mucus discharge from the irritated mantle.
Good luck with him.

bmhair03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you for sharing all your knowledge over the years. I have had these clams for about 8 months. They have always produced mucus since I have had them. They seem healthy. They always open up and are light sensitive. Any idea if its PMD? I think they would have deteriorated more over the last 8 months ,but I not a expert. Should I do a FWD ?
IMG_3999.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a white outline of the mantel. Can you get a clearer picture of this are?
it is not PMD but something is irritating the mantels.

bmhair03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bad photos. That's what I suspected also due to the daily mucus. The white outline on the mantel is actually like a bronze color in person. Goes all the way around. It tends to curl a bit when the mp10 cycles up. Ill try a different angle. Thanks for the reply
IMG_4003.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4005.JPG
IMG_4006.JPG

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like really early PMD. However, PMD does not go all the way around the mantle, and your clams will not live for 10 months and still growing and show minimal curling of the the edge.
OTOH, what irritate your clam looks like superficial irritation, rather than tissue infection. Becasue of this reason FWD may very well works for this problem. We do know that Crocea tolerate FWD well. I would try it and see if it helps.
Dick Perrin, the owner Tropicorium in Romulus Michigan used FWD to control clam parasites on all of his new arrive clams. If I am you I would try FWD for 30 mins.

Last edited:

bmhair03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres some photos of the process. clams seem to be ok after 30 min FWD. They are extending already but seem hypo sensitive to light. closing with every fish that swims by. no more mucus since they have bee replaced. Did notice a bunch of pods in the FWD .
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG
IMG_4014.JPG

Back