Diagnosis Help Please

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial Infection, Ich, Velvet?
As you can see there are some small white spots on him around his head and body.

ACE2E3BF-FD0E-468C-A16B-73327E2FA10F.jpeg 6FAB9DDB-DC2A-46C7-A360-83BFF7C9F407.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots raised? Look more like ich based on the size. Is he displaying any other strange behavior? scratching, lack of appetite, etc.

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the spots aren’t raised.
The only thing unusual is when he’s not swimming around he’s just relaxing at the bottom of the tank semi sideways. Not on his side but not straight up either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be ich. You can count the dots and it appears to be relaxed otherwise. First begin with a freshwater dip. Follow with a quarantine UNLESS your tank is Fish only- no coral) and copper at 2.0 or coppersafe. Marine Ich is not sensitive to temperature changes so increasing the temperature in your saltwater tank will not help to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite. Copper treatment is typically effective within 2 to 4 weeks but you should be aware that prolonged exposure to copper can be dangerous for fish and it may lead to increased stress and other issues, so monitor it with good copper test kit

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the fish today. I know it is frowned upon but my QT tank just opened up and I “rescued” him from Petco. I just want to make sure I’m treating him for the right thing. I’ve got most everything on hand but couldn’t tell if it was Ich or something else.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm what the others said - this looks like Cryptocaryon, ich. You'll need to get a copper treatment started right away, and as said, you'll need a copper test kit to monitor that. Emperor angels are also very prone to Neobenedenia flukes, I would give it a 5 minute FW dip and look at the bottom of the container for dead flukes (let us know if you need full instructions on how to do that). FW dip won't cure the flukes, but it will buy you some time for the copper to knock out the ich.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure this isn’t velvet? There’s a lot more white specks on him today. I started copper power this morning and running at 2.0

AB3EF3DD-8836-4D78-9B43-BD725F288F5C.jpeg 7A03BFCE-EC48-40C8-9213-B217B9D9B81F.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This still looks like ich to me. If the fish is gasping, breathing faster than 120 gill beats per minute, that could be diagnostic for velvet. Did you see any flukes drop off during the FW dip?
Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This still looks like ich to me. If the fish is gasping, breathing faster than 120 gill beats per minute, that could be diagnostic for velvet. Did you see any flukes drop off during the FW dip?
Jay

No flukes. He’s not gasping for air. Just hasn’t ate and seems a little lethargic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet would cause rapid breathing by now, I still see this as ich, glad there weren’t any flukes!
Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet would cause rapid breathing by now, I still see this as ich, glad there weren’t any flukes!
Jay
Good deal. Any tips on getting his appetite up? Might be just because he’s new into the QT but I’ve tried frozen brine, formula 2 flakes, and nori and haven’t seen him eat yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet would cause rapid breathing by now, I still see this as ich.
Good deal. Any tips on getting his appetite up? Might be just because he’s new into the QT but I’ve tried frozen brine, formula 2 flakes, and nori and haven’t seen him eat yet.
Not really much you can do for a fish not feeding due to illness. Just be sure to remove uneaten food and keep trying frozen brine (likely most attractive) so that when it is ready to eat, you’ll know it.
Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking Ich? I’m not sure he’s going to make it. Not much more I can do can I? I’ve got Copper running at 2.0 and Metroplex, Kanaplex.

Attachments

• IMG_6699.MOV
    25.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t open the video on my phone, I’ll try again from my desktop when I get home tonight.....
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking Ich? I’m not sure he’s going to make it. Not much more I can do can I? I’ve got Copper running at 2.0 and Metroplex, Kanaplex.
I still just see an older ich infection...distinct white spots plus some white mucus areas. Worse than it was yesterday. Respiration is around 120 gill beats per minutes, so about 40 higher than I'd want to see, but still below that I would expect to see in a mature velvet infection (180+). Ich can be really stubborn when it reaches this stage, and I've lost fish at this point even though I treated them properly.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Jay. I don’t think he’s going to make it. Not sure their was anything we could have done differently.

Back