Diagnosis/Treatment Request - Clownfish in QT

QandnotU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair of clownfish in my DT for the past several months, that have been incredibly healthy and active. I recently introduced a firefish that looked healthy from a my LFS, but within the first week it looked like it had ich (white spots). I began setting up a quarantine tank for the firefish, but it died before I had it set up.

After the firefish died, one of my clownfish initially looked like it had ich (white spots) and I then transferred both clownfish to the QT. My plan is to begin treating with Copper Power and MetroPlex/Focus today unless someone else has a better recommendation.

As seen in the attached picture, the fins have been receding on the clownfish and large dark spots can be seen and there are also some small white blotches.

I originally thought this was ich, but now I wonder if this is something else.

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance :)

CF_27JAN22.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had a pair of clownfish in my DT for the past several months, that have been incredibly healthy and active. I recently introduced a firefish that looked healthy from a my LFS, but within the first week it looked like it had ich (white spots). I began setting up a quarantine tank for the firefish, but it died before I had it set up.

After the firefish died, one of my clownfish initially looked like it had ich (white spots) and I then transferred both clownfish to the QT. My plan is to begin treating with Copper Power and MetroPlex/Focus today unless someone else has a better recommendation.

As seen in the attached picture, the fins have been receding on the clownfish and large dark spots can be seen and there are also some small white blotches.

I originally thought this was ich, but now I wonder if this is something else.

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance :)

CF_27JAN22.jpg
Go formalin. At first I thought flukes but then looking closer see sole mucus if head area and part of body suggesting brooklynella
Has fish become lethargic in any way , slowing down with eating… swimming at surface or hiding in a corner occasionally?
Is it breathing moderately or rapidly?
You can give it a freshwater dip if it’s not stressed out or breathing fast for temporary relief. Just assure the water temperature is the same as display tank

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2 on fresh water dip. Drugs in my 42 years experience only cause more problems. I used to import around 9 boxes of fish and corals a week and never used QT or drugs and the loss was only a DOA. My personal opinion on copper is that it takes over the immune system and damages' the slime coat on the skin. which makes it so vulnerable

OP
OP
Q

QandnotU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081

Go formalin. At first I thought flukes but then looking closer see sole mucus if head area and part of body suggesting brooklynella
Has fish become lethargic in any way , slowing down with eating… swimming at surface or hiding in a corner occasionally?
Is it breathing moderately or rapidly?
You can give it a freshwater dip if it’s not stressed out or breathing fast for temporary relief. Just assure the water temperature is the same as display tank

Thanks! After reviewing pictures of brooklynella, I agree that this looks more like brooklynella. The fish does appear to be slightly less active than normal, but is moving around the QT tank and eating well.

I currently have Metroplex on hand and I've dosed the QT tank (2 scoops per 10 gallons). I also have Hikari Ich-X (<5% formaldehyde) on hand and Prazipro will arrive tomorrow.

Without having formalin on hand, do you recommend using anything besides Metroplex?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081

Thanks! After reviewing pictures of brooklynella, I agree that this looks more like brooklynella. The fish does appear to be slightly less active than normal, but is moving around the QT tank and eating well.

I currently have Metroplex on hand and I've dosed the QT tank (2 scoops per 10 gallons). I also have Hikari Ich-X (<5% formaldehyde) on hand and Prazipro will arrive tomorrow.

Without having formalin on hand, do you recommend using anything besides Metroplex?
No prazi or metroplex. Freshwater dip for temporary relief and either quick cure starting with a 45 min bath then quarantine treatment with the same or ruby rally pro starting with a 90 minute bath and aeration then treatment in display tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to concur - this seems to be Brooklynella and the treatment that @vetteguy53081 has described would be the best course of action.

However - you mentioned ich in other fish. it is not impossible for fish to have more than one active infection at a time. I don't see any active ich in the photo, but it is always tough to see remotely like that. I can see sheets of mucus, thus I think you need to treat for Brooklynella....

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back