Night Howler Frag Tank Build

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there will be an acrylic rim on top of the sump area and baffles covering the exposed edges. The thicker the glass the harder it is to break edge wise. The exposed edges will be 100% covered to make sure things like that dont happens. Tempered glass is stronger like @NowGlazeIT said. I used it for the sump since it is oversized i didnt want any flex or blow out from the volume of water going with a 6mm glass. The baffles will help keep everything tight. I do have annealed pieces for the things that will be drilled and slotted. When the edges are seamed it does make the edge stronger and is done before tempering. We have all different kinds of glass and recipes. From annealed to tempered to heat strengthened to laminate. We are a custom annealed and tempering facility. When this thing is done there will be no exposed edges. The side corners will be covered with red acrylic angle pieces. Everything is going to be top notch on this one and 100% explosion proof.
I need a mouth watering emoji for a like button on this one

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last line would be my great fear.

It's not on purpose that the edge is going to get dinged. It's an accidental bump, a dropped tool that freaks me out.
Annealed glass is more proned to chip and cause hairline fractures that can run through the glass. Seaming the edges helps but it is more fragile thats when you see chips and chunks broke out on a lot of these new tanks with people always asking should i still use this? Will this crack and break? I just chpped my tank is it going to explode. So doing it the right way with coverage and prepping and preparing the edges is crucial an tempering. The seam helps protect the edges from that particular explosion issue.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh momma what’s the tint on those ato panels?

The edges are done before the tempering process.
The tint is a darkened glass its a coat that is mixed into the clear at our float plants to avoid scratching of the coat.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to make an impressive sump. can you say overkill? lol
Right but hey at least i know i have it. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. The sump is going to be bigger for when the next upgrade happensit can be able to handle the capacity of a bigger tank. All about planning ahead.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice should be plenty but I don’t know how you shop boys compare to us installers. Haha that’s the jealousy talking. ASI for the win buddy
Hey now i installed sliders to double pane to eveything under the sun. Replacement glass installs is what got me interested in the facility was tired of being in the elements so now i just kick back relax and let the guys do the work. Really enjoy supervising now a days. lol

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now i installed sliders to double pane to eveything under the sun. Replacement glass installs is what got me interested in the facility was tired of being in the elements so now i just kick back relax and let the guys do the work. Really enjoy supervising now a days. lol
Feels like im talking to Neil Patrick Harris here dude, so you just wake up in the morning and p$ss excellence everyday??

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like im talking to Neil Patrick Harris here dude, so you just wake up in the morning and p$ss excellence everyday??
Not everyday......i still look up to you and @Lost in the Sauce i am a mere mortal when it comes to the stuff yall push out......i am hoping to get to yalls level someday thats for sure.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
don't we all?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go heavy on the pictures dude. Not everyday we see sumps built from Cardinal Glass
Flat pack me the glass and I'll build one a month! Next up is Either full custom sump with big ol display fuge, or rework of the 40b and building a cube fuge next to it...

Decisions decisions. Glass ain't cheap for us mortals!

Not everyday......i still look up to you and @Lost in the Sauce i am a mere mortal when it comes to the stuff yall push out......i am hoping to get to yalls level someday thats for sure.
For the record, I should not be emulated. I've made so many boneheaded mistakes in this hobby (sometimes twice) that it's comical.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flat pack me the glass and I'll build one a month! Next up is Either full custom sump with big ol display fuge, or rework of the 40b and building a cube fuge next to it...

Decisions decisions. Glass ain't cheap for us mortals!

For the record, I should not be emulated. I've made so many boneheaded mistakes in this hobby (sometimes twice) that it's comical.
Bro i got into this without even realizing the demand doing side jobs making some extra cash. Got into the saltwater scene and boom hear all these stories of glass being crazy expensive just for the glass let alone shipping. And the horror stories of wrong sizes and what not is just crazy. I would be totally down to bro lets chat and see what we can do

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back