Diamond watchman goby acting strange

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i recently got a diamond watchman goby he is not a juvenile and still not an adult. A medium fish..

Once I put him in the tank 6 days ago he turned my sand white and started to dig everywhere until he choose an island rock. He digged only there now and mate a few entrances and was well. I fed him and he ate.. he was very active and i was happy.

2 days ago he disappeared, no traces what so ever..his "home" did no longer have any entrances, the sand fell into the holes. My aqua scape is kind of open so you can't not see the fish. Me and My partner looked for it for 2 days with no luck and started to think he was gone.

Today i did a tank clean and cleaned all the sand, sifted everything since I was removing 50% of the water, and after the cleaning was done i cleaned the tank glass and looked down the sump, my partner saw him and we were both shocked. He just appeared from nowhere. He "spawned" at his original home and acted kind of strange. I would say he breathes a bit faster then normal, and he looks like he's trying to hide from other fishes, he doesn't swim fast if another fish comes close just moves about an inch.

I tryed to remake an entrance to his home but he doesn't dig, just stays close to it..

Tank is red sea 170e with a 50l sump
Other fishes:
2 clowns mid size
1 cleaner wrasse mid size
1 dory a baby she's very small
1 star blenny

Nobody bothers him , they just swim to investigate him and he moves. Not in a panic but moves..

Could anyone give me any guidance?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys i recently got a diamond watchman goby he is not a juvenile and still not an adult. A medium fish..

Once I put him in the tank 6 days ago he turned my sand white and started to dig everywhere until he choose an island rock. He digged only there now and mate a few entrances and was well. I fed him and he ate.. he was very active and i was happy.

2 days ago he disappeared, no traces what so ever..his "home" did no longer have any entrances, the sand fell into the holes. My aqua scape is kind of open so you can't not see the fish. Me and My partner looked for it for 2 days with no luck and started to think he was gone.

Today i did a tank clean and cleaned all the sand, sifted everything since I was removing 50% of the water, and after the cleaning was done i cleaned the tank glass and looked down the sump, my partner saw him and we were both shocked. He just appeared from nowhere. He "spawned" at his original home and acted kind of strange. I would say he breathes a bit faster then normal, and he looks like he's trying to hide from other fishes, he doesn't swim fast if another fish comes close just moves about an inch.

I tryed to remake an entrance to his home but he doesn't dig, just stays close to it..

Tank is red sea 170e with a 50l sump
Other fishes:
2 clowns mid size
1 cleaner wrasse mid size
1 dory a baby she's very small
1 star blenny

Nobody bothers him , they just swim to investigate him and he moves. Not in a panic but moves..

Could anyone give me any guidance?

Thanks
He’ll remake his own tunnel
Assure it’s getting proper diet and what salinity and temperature do you maintain?
They prefer fine sand also

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’ll remake his own tunnel
Assure it’s getting proper diet and what salinity and temperature do you maintain?
They prefer fine sand also
Thanks for the answer,

My salinity is 1.026 and has been since starting the tank. The temperature is now during summer from 25.5 - 26 - 26-5 fluctuating during the 24 hours, everything else seems fine and not bothered.
Ive got small fine sand also.

Ive been feeding him small meaty pellets that fall on the sand or i burrow them in the sand and some mysis shrimp. feeding 3 times a day smaller amounts.

Today he is gone again and nowhere to be found, i saw him last night when lights out at around 1.30 am and did not see him 09 am this morning.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the answer,

My salinity is 1.026 and has been since starting the tank. The temperature is now during summer from 25.5 - 26 - 26-5 fluctuating during the 24 hours, everything else seems fine and not bothered.
Ive got small fine sand also.

Ive been feeding him small meaty pellets that fall on the sand or i burrow them in the sand and some mysis shrimp. feeding 3 times a day smaller amounts.

Today he is gone again and nowhere to be found, i saw him last night when lights out at around 1.30 am and did not see him 09 am this morning.
Ahh, pellets
While pellets are accepted, you want to provide actual diet consisting of:
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, pellets
While pellets are accepted, you want to provide actual diet consisting of:
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine

I forgot to mention one more thing, each morning when i walked pass the tank when the goby saw me he freaked out. if i just passed near he swam everywhere up down to the sides in a hectic matter. Maybe he was stressed out from the shipping.

I havent seen him in a few days now, maybe he is gone now

Hope he comes back to normal soon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I forgot to mention one more thing, each morning when i walked pass the tank when the goby saw me he freaked out. if i just passed near he swam everywhere up down to the sides in a hectic matter. Maybe he was stressed out from the shipping.

I havent seen him in a few days now, maybe he is gone now

Hope he comes back to normal soon.
Lower light intensity a little and to see if its eating, set your phone on video mode for 1/2 hour and drop alittle food and walk away. Come back and review video and you will know. You MUST Walk Away

OP
OP
E

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower light intensity a little and to see if its eating, set your phone on video mode for 1/2 hour and drop alittle food and walk away. Come back and review video and you will know. You MUST Walk Away
I tryed it yesterday with no luck in seeing the fish, dont know if he is gone or not but i hope he still is hiding and will get better

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back