Diatams I believe

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about about 3 months old. I've noticed the brown algae only in the sand bed. My dry rock is green and surprisingly getting purple and red Coraline algae. Not matter how many times I vacuum the sand bed and do water changes. Stuff just keeps coming back. What eats this stuff. It's only a 25 gallon tank that I'm holding my buddies scopa tang in.

20210628_124004.jpg 16249097790991010168084975222951.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is about about 3 months old. I've noticed the brown algae only in the sand bed. My dry rock is green and surprisingly getting purple and red Coraline algae. Not matter how many times I vacuum the sand bed and do water changes. Stuff just keeps coming back. What eats this stuff. It's only a 25 gallon tank that I'm holding my buddies scopa tang in.

20210628_124004.jpg 16249097790991010168084975222951.jpg
Hang in there... this is called the 'ugly phase' but it passes

Here is some good reading while you wait:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like both diatoms and cyano. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank cycled (I started with dry rock and live sand) I would change 4gal of my 20gal every 5 days or so. I blew off the rocks (also green at the time) and vacuumed the sand bed. Especially since my watchman and tiger pistol liked to poop where they eat. The uglies would be back within a day or 2. After a couple weeks they seemed to “disappear”

OP
OP
G

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a protein skimmer. Not sure what would fit in waterbox peninsula mini 25. Change water weekly 5 gallons.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a protein skimmer. Not sure what would fit in waterbox peninsula mini 25. Change water weekly 5 gallons.

I have a WB Cube20 with no skimmer. Keep up with weekly water changes and get some snails to take care of the ugly stuff. My diatoms were gone in less than 24 hours after I added some turbos, Nassarius, ceriths, Trochus and astreas.

OP
OP
G

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like I'm hitting up my local fish store. I don't want a skimmer now because I'm moving in Sept and upgrading to a 90 gallon. I have a uv sterilizer from my buddy

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms feed on Silicate. Maybe get a test and check your new water, salt & fresh, for Silicate. Once Silicate is all consumed, Diatoms burn out and go away. Add more Silicate and they come back. Opportunistic organism.

OP
OP
G

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms feed on Silicate. Maybe get a test and check your new water, salt & fresh, for Silicate. Once Silicate is all consumed, Diatoms burn out and go away. Add more Silicate and they come back. Opportunistic organism.
I'm using rodi water. Is there a remover for it?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is diatoms (confirm with microscope, I think), they should go away in a week or two. They are expected to appear in a new tank. If diatoms stay around longer or come back, then there must be a source of Silicate being added to your tank.

I don't think RO/DI water normally contains Silicate, but there may be some if the filter media is worn out. A Silicate test-kit can identify if it is in your RO/DI water.

OP
OP
G

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using rodi water. Is there a remover for it
If it is diatoms (confirm with microscope, I think), they should go away in a week or two. They are expected to appear in a new tank. If diatoms stay around longer or come back, then there must be a source of Silicate being added to your tank.

I don't think RO/DI water normally contains Silicate, but there may be some if the filter media is worn out. A Silicate test-kit can identify if it is in your RO/DI water.
I got a few blue legged hermit crabs today. They are going to town on it. Already attacked half of it in 2 hrs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back