Diatom bloom and CUC suggestions.

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29g Biocube is now 28 days old. I have a pair of clownfish that are active and eating well. I also have a good start to my diatom bloom. Its on the gravel, rocks, and glass, and there are tiny bubbles coming from it as well. I plan to have a few fish, soft corals, and at least LPS in the tank.

My current Parameters:
pH = 8.4
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 7.3
Phosphate = .01
Alkalinity = 8
Temp = 77.3
SG = 1.025

I'd like start adding CUC and would like some suggestions. I'm also curious if CUC need to be QT or just observed closely for junk on them. I'm also curious if I should hit up my LFS or if I should go to an online dealer. Would I have a better chance and getting a clean animal online?

Any help is appreciated.

20210818_173159.jpg 20210818_173220.jpg

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 nassarius snails last night. I am going to try and add a couple of trochus snails this weekend. My water seems a little cloudy today. Could that be a bacteria bloom?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 nassarius snails last night. I am going to try and add a couple of trochus snails this weekend. My water seems a little cloudy today. Could that be a bacteria bloom?
Trochus are good with diatoms. Nassarius are great (I always keep them in my tanks), but they don't really touch algae in my experience. They're great at hoovering up extra food (I tend to overfeed) and detritus while also sifting the sand bed, but mine have never touched algae of any sort.

I've never QT'd a CUC. I imagine there are differing opinions on this, and I admittedly don't quarantine the CUC while understanding there is a level of risk involved. They could bring nasties into my tank. So could the live rock I start the tank with (I don't QT that either). I personally think the risk is low enough to proceed w/o the QT (and I've never had issues I could link to CUC). I'll always QT fish though. I'd wager the risk is lower if you order from reefcleaners.net vs. your LFS, as the LFS CUC is likely going to be in a system with all sorts of fish and disease floating around whereas the reefcleaners pack should have limited/no exposure. But even with the LFS CUC, I personally wouldn't QT.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trochus, Ceriths and Nerites are my favorite snails for algae. Nassarius are great for eating leftover food.

Trochus clean Diatoms, Cyano, Algae and Detritus - (rocks and glass)
Nerites clean Diatoms, Cyano, Algae and Detritus - (rocks and glass)
Ceriths clean Diatoms, Algae, Cyano and Detritus - (substrate, rocks and glass)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is getting a bit cloudy now. I've also noticed my filter floss is getting dirty very fast. Should I consider adding some Chemipure blue to the tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at what reefcleaners.org recommends for your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back