Diatom bloom and raised nitrites and nitrates

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have come through the cycle and have now got my diatom bloom going on. I have 2 clownfish and a few snails and hermits. My parameters have been perfect up to the bloom happening l. I have competed a check today and my nitrites are at .50ppm and nitrates about 10ppm is this anything to worry about? I know I need 0 nitrites but is the rise because of the diatom bloom? I have competed a water change today again (last one was Sunday).

All other parameters are good and where they should be.

cheers in advance all

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...things are fine. Just finding it's balance. Nitrites are not toxic to fish in saltwater and 10 ppm nitrates is fine. Keep doing regular water changes if you'd like to get NO3 where you want. Nitrites will go away soon enough.

OP
OP
C

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...things are fine. Just finding it's balance. Nitrites are not toxic to fish in saltwater and 10 ppm nitrates is fine. Keep doing regular water changes if you'd like to get NO3 where you want. Nitrites will go away soon enough.
That’s great, thanks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have come through the cycle and have now got my diatom bloom going on. I have 2 clownfish and a few snails and hermits. My parameters have been perfect up to the bloom happening l. I have competed a check today and my nitrites are at .50ppm and nitrates about 10ppm is this anything to worry about? I know I need 0 nitrites but is the rise because of the diatom bloom? I have competed a water change today again (last one was Sunday).

All other parameters are good and where they should be.

cheers in advance all
The general wisdom is that your fine. It’s a bit odd that these nitrites haven’t made your nitrates go through the roof though.

OP
OP
C

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general wisdom is that your fine. It’s a bit odd that these nitrites haven’t made your nitrates go through the roof though.
That is throwing me a little too, but it’s good to get advise and feedback from you guys

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just like they said you should be all good. The diatoms will run its course for a bit then disappear. Now it's just all about nutrient maintenance to make sure nothing pops up after the diatoms like cyano or hair algae.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the nitrite to nitrate ratio is 2.7 to 3.6 assuming all nitrite is converted. So it's slightly more than 1:1. Not going to drive it up too fast really. The ammonia in the above ratio is 1. So you could end up 4x of ammonia. In your case most ammonia is being processed as is likely most the nitrite. Just a blip due to bacteria/diatom die off.

I think I'm using that relationship right...not a chemist.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the nitrite to nitrate something like 2.7 to 3.6 assuming all nitrite is converted. So it's slightly more than 1:1. Not going to drive it up too fast really. The ammonia in the above ratio is 1. So you could end up 4x of ammonia. In your case it's being processed mostly as is likely most the nitrite. Just a blip due to bacteria/diatom die off.

I think I'm using that relationship right...not a chemist.
It’s the nitrite actually effecting the nitrate test that’s baffling. If it were truly 0.5ppm nitrite, the nitrate test could read upto 50ppm nitrate. Then again, if it’s an API nitrate test, I wouldn’t bet my house on the result anyway. Nitrite tests though seem very reliable.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the nitrite actually effecting the nitrate test that’s baffling. If it were truly 0.5ppm nitrite, the nitrate test could read upto 50ppm nitrate. Then again, if it’s an API nitrate test, I wouldn’t bet my house on the result anyway. Nitrite tests though seem very reliable.
I really tried to like the API kits for saltwater (use them exclusively for fresh and love em). But I'd take 3 nitrate tests at the same time and get 0 ppm, 20 ppm and something red. Never could get any repeatability with them (fyi the nyos reported 5 ppm on the above).

OP
OP
C

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an API test pal, probably best me getting a different one

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an API test pal, probably best me getting a different one
If budget big concern...I've had much better luck with higher end test strips. I use NYOS, AF, TM and Hanna normally, but for a quick down and dirty if I see something 'fishy' - they seem pretty good. Except pH but heck, you can't do much about pH anyway. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back