Diatom bloom

JacobPF14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I'm not exactly new, however, this diatom bloom is. In my other tank I never had this issue, perhaps it was my rock and sand choice? Anywho, About a week ago I noticed some brown gold algae on my rocks, one day later, almost the entire tank (rocks, sand, glass) were all covered in it. But now, it's almost completely gone... Any ideas? Maybe my silicates just went away? not sure.

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I'm not exactly new, however, this diatom bloom is. In my other tank I never had this issue, perhaps it was my rock and sand choice? Anywho, About a week ago I noticed some brown gold algae on my rocks, one day later, almost the entire tank (rocks, sand, glass) were all covered in it. But now, it's almost completely gone... Any ideas? Maybe my silicates just went away? not sure.
What are you water parameters? Did you change lighting or add anything new to the tank?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
silicates depletes really fast.
For curiosity, did you conduct a water change in this period?
If so, it could be that your resin is clogged and you pretty much introduced silicate in the tank... and if you do not add more silicate to feed the diatoms... the go away quickly.

Cheers!

OP
OP
J

JacobPF14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you water parameters? Did you change lighting or add anything new to the tank?
Tank is almost cycled, around 0.25ppm nitrite, 20ppm nitrate. Nothing changed, just let it sit.
Hello,
silicates depletes really fast.
For curiosity, did you conduct a water change in this period?
If so, it could be that your resin is clogged and you pretty much introduced silicate in the tank... and if you do not add more silicate to feed the diatoms... the go away quickly.

Cheers!
Yes I did do a WC the day I started seeing them go down. Everything seems well, not to worried. Waiting for the green algae to come. The clowns in the tank seem to be doing well, no issues there! Thanks guys!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back