Diatoms and Cyano?

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have a mixture I diatoms and cyano. I can clean it up by blowing it off the rocks and fishing it out and sucking it up from the sand bed. I have a mixture of snails. Astrea, nerite, cerith, nassarius, turbos, 2 urchins for my cuc. I have 2 clowns, 4 cardinals, fox face, and an orchid dotty back. It's a 75g dt with about 15 gallons in my sump. I use rodi and coral pro that
Screenshot_20210811-211343_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-211347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-211352_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-211358_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-211412_Gallery.jpg
measures 0 phos and nitrate. I have not been able to get a measurable amount of nitrate since my water change after the cycle completed approximately 2 months ago. I was getting a phosphate reading of .4 in the beginning. Now both are reading zero. Testing with red sea kits and checking the test with api and salifert to confirm zero. I added chemipure blue, Dr Tim's Waste Away gel(low flow area) and a bag of carbon to a high flow area of the sump appropriately 1 month ago. 3 days ago I added a bag of phosguard and moved both that and chemipure to the media cups. I was feeding like a drunken sailor at 1 cube a day. I have rectified that to a pinch of xsmall pellets and flake. Substituting the flake every other day with 1/4 cube of mysis about a month ago. I can clean this and the sand and it about a day and a half it'd like I was never there. Any suggestions would be helpful as I would very much like to not spend like 2 hrs cleaning this every other day. Pictures were taken under white light only.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. It was started in May. My concern is this is with cleaning it every few days. If I let it go I'm worried it will get out of control.

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the red spots in the sand everywhere? If it's just in certain areas it could be from dead spots and over feeding but seeing how new the tank is its probably just the ugly stage.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thread while searching for other people dealing with cyano and if it's related to lower flow (seems to be.)

Anyway, one overservation I've had is I'm not sure you're feeding enough. If you've never had detectable nitrates, I'd say that's representative of a lack of feeding. For comparison I have a 22g and I feed half a cube of frozen and two feedings of pellet/flake food daily. Also feed reef chili every few days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back