Diatoms? Best way of removal

temnich23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 4 months and I am getting worried about the brown covering on my sand, rocks and corals. Can anyone point me in the right direction, I've heard of people doing blackouts for a couple of days but I'm not sure how my corals will fair. I have a fluval evo, ai prime on toned down Saxby settings, filter basket in chamber 1 with floss and fritz. Chamber 2 has the sponge which I've cut the centre out and filled with bio balls. I also have an ai neuro 3 set to 30%.

16158328994302882261515740817624.jpg 16158329277942032392575409221848.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that method can and will save your reef from loss one day. For basic diatoms just remove them in basic cleaning, siphon up around the areas and guide it like a garden.

study that method though, its not harmful whatsoever, its a technique for saving nano reefs that few know about. here's how its useful:

-cleans your system out without delay, harmlessly, as a skip cycle total cleaning. Not a partial approach where you tinker with dosing and testing for six weeks, its a two hour back to new option.

-there is no limit on # of times you can apply it. Its not harmful.

-when we move reefs to new homes we clean them like that...so that they don't move waste.

-if/when your new rocks take on dinos or hair algae, that above can save your method and no other method can beat it comparatively, in a nano.

right now your system looks as it should for a new tank. soon/few more weeks youll get to concerning level (common for new tanks) and there's your fix right above. this is leveraging the low size of a nano to effect a big cleanup, large tankers only wish they had the same cheat.

-no matter what negative you might think of from running a deep clean, there isn't one. this above is one of a thousand jobs we have on file, its well-tested.

OP
OP
T

temnich23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that method can and will save your reef from loss one day. For basic diatoms just remove them in basic cleaning, siphon up around the areas and guide it like a garden.

study that method though, its not harmful whatsoever, its a technique for saving nano reefs that few know about. here's how its useful:

-cleans your system out without delay, harmlessly, as a skip cycle total cleaning. Not a partial approach where you tinker with dosing and testing for six weeks, its a two hour back to new option.

-there is no limit on # of times you can apply it. Its not harmful.

-when we move reefs to new homes we clean them like that...so that they don't move waste.

-if/when your new rocks take on dinos or hair algae, that above can save your method and no other method can beat it comparatively, in a nano.

right now your system looks as it should for a new tank. soon/few more weeks youll get to concerning level (common for new tanks) and there's your fix right above. this is leveraging the low size of a nano to effect a big cleanup, large tankers only wish they had the same cheat.

-no matter what negative you might think of from running a deep clean, there isn't one. this above is one of a thousand jobs we have on file, its well-tested.
I've had a read, you suggest removing the rock and using a peroxide rub on that. Then start with the sand? Can you give me a lowdown on it?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the current condition you’d just put a siphon hose in there and remove the light growths, when things get bad as the tank matures you can run deep cleaning, here’s a thread that breaks down the steps and has examples on each link

lysmata shrimps are sensitive to peroxide so make sure all spray work is done externally

Books

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 4 months and I am getting worried about the brown covering on my sand, rocks and corals. Can anyone point me in the right direction, I've heard of people doing blackouts for a couple of days but I'm not sure how my corals will fair. I have a fluval evo, ai prime on toned down Saxby settings, filter basket in chamber 1 with floss and fritz. Chamber 2 has the sponge which I've cut the centre out and filled with bio balls. I also have an ai neuro 3 set to 30%.

16158328994302882261515740817624.jpg 16158329277942032392575409221848.jpg
I have done 25% water changes once a week and cut down on feeding and tried a little bit of a light change(more blue) and it is slowly going away after about 2 weeks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back