Diatoms, Dinos, Cyano, and Hair algae?

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to anyone who's here (and thank you for reading)!

I think I've encountered my first issue with my reef tank, which is whether I've got dinos, diatoms, cyano, and hair algae - or maybe all four of them at the same time. I don't have a microscope on hand so I'm aware that the best ID I can get for dinos is an experienced guess from a seasoned reefer, and for now that's better than nothing >-<

My tanks been cycled for 4 weeks now using RODI water for salt mix and top off. I've got a few beginner corals in there along with live rock/sand, and also 2 nassarius snails and 3 trochus snail

Parameters/info:
• AI prime 16hd
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate - 0/0/2 (ammonia and nitrates been fluctuating recently - ammonia fluctuates between 0 and 0.2, nitrates fluctuate between 0 and 5
• Alkalinity - Between 7-8 dKH
• Phosphates - 0.055
• Magnesium - 1080 (I've since dosed magnesium to raise it for my hammer)

Below I've attached some photos of my tank and what it looks to be a combination of the four.

1st picture: Was taken a week after my tank cycled and added some corals - Looking at the tank now, I can see that a lot of the brown spots have gone away in comparison to what it looks like now, but I'm not sure if that was the diatom stage and that the remainder of what's left is dinos.

2nd picture: This is what my current sandbed looks like and the characteristics of this brown slime me think that it's dinos or cyano because it's slimy and snot looking, but at the same time when I try to disturb it, some of it is dusty and some of it is slimy

3rd picture: The brown stuff that's on my live rock - I brushed most of it away with a toothbrush and for the most part it seemed dusty

A majority of the brown stuff is dusty but I'm seeing some air bubbles trapped in the hair algae looking substance and also some sliminess in the sand bed.

First week.jpeg
IMG_3130.jpeg
Dusty.jpeg

If anyone is reading this, thank you SO much for taking the time to help a newbie reefer!

I'm super anxious about having to potentially deal with dinos - so if anyone can indeed confirm (or estimate) that this is what the start of dinos looks like (or whatever combination of uglies I'm facing) it would be greatly appreciated so I can gear up for the upcoming battle :(.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One good way to tell is that cyano is a jelly and diatoms are hard and crunchy. From what I can tell it looks like diatoms if that is the case then it’s perfectly normal and will run its course and die off. Nitrates encourage algae growth so you will want to get that stable but in a new tank like this it’s a normal process that all tanks go through they call it the “ugly faze”. Im not an expert but I hope this bit of info helps.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first pic looks like Dinos, but so hard to tell.

If they mostly leave the sand after lights out that supports Dinos.

Likely nutrients bottomed out, so check and fix that first. That itself may solve that.

If not, Dino-x by Fauna Marin and UV is what rid mine.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first pic looks like Dinos, but so hard to tell.

If they mostly leave the sand after lights out that supports Dinos.

Likely nutrients bottomed out, so check and fix that first. That itself may solve that.

If not, Dino-x by Fauna Marin and UV is what rid mine.
Thank you! I don't really see them leaving the sand after lights out, but I think my nutrients are bottoming out for some reason. I'll have to contact my LFS to see if they've got a microscope to check for me.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One good way to tell is that cyano is a jelly and diatoms are hard and crunchy. From what I can tell it looks like diatoms if that is the case then it’s perfectly normal and will run its course and die off. Nitrates encourage algae growth so you will want to get that stable but in a new tank like this it’s a normal process that all tanks go through they call it the “ugly faze”. Im not an expert but I hope this bit of info helps.
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely have to try increasing my nitrates as it seems like my nutrients are low for some reason. I'm crossing my fingers that it's diatoms

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back