Diatoms/high nitrite day 7 cycling dr tims

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit! It’s not diatoms… it looks more like fuzzy mold all over the rock. What could that be?

day #7 of fishless cycle with dr tims in my 20 gallon tank. On day 3 I realized I overdosed the ammonium chloride—panicked—did a large water change and then added a little brightwell microbacter start xlm. (I had already purchased it before deciding on dr Tim’s method)
I know I know…I shouldn’t have mixed them. But whatever, too late, I thought I had destroyed my tank with ammonia.
Anyways…
Ammonia has been going down normal since. But my nitrites and nitrates are through the roof. And now I see my rock is over run with a growth of some sort…
What could it be?? Thanks in advance!

20 gallon tank, caribsea live sand, caribsea dry rock

67B1CA0F-A6A7-4C01-B4E5-38182EAC9CC4.jpeg

Last edited:

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank should come into itself with time. ammonia seems to have risen and fallen, which means the first part of the cycle is over. now nitrites should do the same followed by nitrates. it can take a month or more, patience is key. can't say much about the rocks though. I'd see if it disappears on it’s own.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with the fuzzy stuff, but I can help you with the cycle.

Nothing to worry about here. You can mix bottled bac products no problem, just not necessary. As in it definitely does not cause harm, just may not do any good. But that's fine.

How much ammonia did you dose initially, and how much was it after the water change? Nitrite present is a good thing, that means there is ammonia-oxidation going on.

I mean, from the sound of it, your cycle is going mighty swell.

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with the fuzzy stuff, but I can help you with the cycle.

Nothing to worry about here. You can mix bottled bac products no problem, just not necessary. As in it definitely does not cause harm, just may not do any good. But that's fine.

How much ammonia did you dose initially, and how much was it after the water change? Nitrite present is a good thing, that means there is ammonia-oxidation going on.

I mean, from the sound of it, your cycle is going mighty swell.
Thank you! My ammonia was around 8 on day 2 and 3… after the the water change it has been gradually going down and is currently at 1. Once it reaches 0 I was planning on ghost feeding for an ammonia source.
Ya, I’m a little worried with how high my nitrites are… sounds like it could create a long cycle.. but we’ll see! Confused about this growth on the rock. Feels like a lot has happened in a short amount of time—which I fear is bad not good. Who knows! Thanks for your response and any more input is much appreciated!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My ammonia was around 8 on day 2 and 3… after the the water change it has been gradually going down and is currently at 1. Once it reaches 0 I was planning on ghost feeding for an ammonia source.
Ya, I’m a little worried with how high my nitrites are… sounds like it could create a long cycle.. but we’ll see! Confused about this growth on the rock. Feels like a lot has happened in a short amount of time—which I fear is bad not good. Who knows! Thanks for your response and any more input is much appreciated!
I would recommend against ghostfeeding if you are able to dose ammonia directly.

Also with the nitrites, once your nitrite-oxidizers start to really reproduce, they'll quick be able to handle the nitrite.

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against ghostfeeding if you are able to dose ammonia directly.

Also with the nitrites, once your nitrite-oxidizers start to really reproduce, they'll quick be able to handle the nitrite.
Thank you! I will just use the ammonium chloride then!

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, would you recommend I do another water change to help with the night nitrites? Thanks!

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's a natural part of the cycle. Doing a water change won't harm, but won't help either. Here's my guide to cycling if you want something to follow.

A GUIDE TO CYCLING V1.3.png
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! This is an awesome guide to go along with my cycling! I needed this! So happy I know now not to dose more ammonia while my nitrites are still so high. phew! I appreciate this so much!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back