Diatoms? Just let it run its course?

blalaw87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

I have had my tank up and running for about 6 months or so and has been doing well for the most part. I went through some GHA and I think some initial diatoms to start and got a cleaning crew and GHA is all gone but diatoms seemed like they always lingered but for the most part were away complete with a few spots on algae on the sand bed here and there. I have always had my lights (Red Sea LED 90) set at 70-80 Blue and 10-20% whites. Since I have started adding some corals LPS, and Soft Corals the past couple months I kept it at that but recently decided to bump it up. The corals were not doing bad but I figured I just didn't have the lights high enough. So I bumped it up to the Red Sea Profile of 20K this week. That is Running at 100% Blues and 50% Whites.

Once I did that this week I start seeing the algae come back more and it seems like the glass is getting dirtier a lot quicker as well. On the glass it is almost like a powder and comes off really easily and just floats away. I also recently added 2 new pieces of dry rock about a month ago then waiting another 2 weeks and added two more pieces. I plan on adding some more to fill out the aquascape a little more since I started out with live rock. I also verified my TDS coming out of my RO is at 0.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

From my understanding Diatoms are caused by silicate and that is what they feed off of. I was thinking of doing a couple things and wondering if I should or just let it run its course?

• Upping my water changes. Right now I only do a water change roughly once every 2 - 3 weeks. Should I go ahead and up that to every week for now?
    • Should I stir up the sand a little in sections before I do a water change to suck some of it out?
  • Should I be turning over the sand so the diatoms get in the filtered out through the filter floss
  • I currently am just running one bag of Chemipure elite bags in my sump. Should I do more than that to help with the silicates?
  • I know that flow can help. Right now I have two Reefwave 25's in my tank mounted on the back wall. Should I move them to the side to help with flow? One on the right side about 3/4 of the way up the tank for higher up and then another on the left side about 1/4 of the way up to focus more flow on the sand bed?
  • Should I do a blackout for 3-7 days or just let it run its course to all the silcates have been consumed?
  • I have also recently sent out a ICP test before all of this happened so I think I should get some more information back from that.

I did test my parameters on Sunday but have not tested them since then just yet:

Nitrate - 5ppm (NYOS)
Calcium - 420 ppm (Salifert)
Alk - 7.2 dKH (Hannah)
Phosphate - .18 (Hannah ULR)
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.2

Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just consider using some phosphate and silicate remover. That way you can fix both issues at once.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, we have similar set up and tank age. I experienced various diatoms also throughout the months. Lights are key to diatoms. Limit your duration and intensity and cut white to like 5%. Run mainly blue and uv.

What are your water parameters?

OP
OP
blalaw87

blalaw87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters as of last Sunday are and I am planning taking more measurements tomorrow.

Nitrate - 5ppm (NYOS)
Alk - 7.2 dKH (Hannah)
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.2

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters as of last Sunday are and I am planning taking more measurements tomorrow.

Nitrate - 5ppm (NYOS)
Alk - 7.2 dKH (Hannah)
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.2
Numbers look fine so you can let it runs its course or maybe cut lights as stated above to minimize it. Once silcates are gone it will disappear.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrate - 5ppm (NYOS)
Alk - 7.2 dKH (Hannah)
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.2
Your phosphates are a bit on the high side. I'd run GFO -- it removes phosphate and silicate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back