Diatoms or Detritus Buildup and cyanobacteria algae?

GuamBubblehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a few questions regarding a few things in my tank.

First is this red stuff cyanobacteria or just red algae?. There is a chuck or red algae on a rock however im seeing small spots of redish mixed in the brown what im guessing is diatoms or detritus buildup next to the powerheads.

Next is that brown stuff on the glass diatoms or detritus. I seem to be having a nitrate excusion. I ordered a clean up crew replenishment however it seems my wrasse ate most of the smaller snails. The starfisj and turbo and larger snails seem to avoid it. There are also darker spots forming in my sand between the rocks.
The 75g tank was upgraded from my 40 gal about 3 months ago, reused rock from tampa saltwater. New argonite sand and crushed coral. Semi-deep bed. Used 1.5 cups of old sand for seeding and never got a cycle. Water parameters were perfect. 8.2pH, nitrates were never more than 10ppm only normal top off for water changing except 1 time about a month ago right before i got the clean up crew. I did not have any dips but i did rinse and soak in DI and saltwater mix berfore placing in tank. I got the clean up crew because i lost a peppermint shrimp in the change over. The other one ate it... so i figured it was time to replenish. Inhabitants are a peppermint shrimp, 2 pectula clowns, rainbow wrasse, chocostar, 1 hippo, 1 damsel, clean up crew was brittle star, elmerald crab, lettuce sea slug, medium sea urchin.
Clean up crew ordered from liveaquaria was 10 blue hermits, 10 astraea snails, 10 nass snails, porcelain crab, 5 cerith snails, fighting cronch and 3 bumble snails. I though i was having a diatom bloom as well. I think i have only a couple nass, 2 cerith and 1 bumble snails left of those types. Dumb wrasse...
I do not have a sump. Canister filter, 2 hob filters one connected to output of canister, 3k icecap gyre, 2 wavemaker power heads, protein skimmer. I think its the seaclone 100. Canister filter has charcoal, calcium and bio balls. Otherwise chemistry as of yesterday is 380 ppm Calcium, 20ppm nitrates, 0 nitrates and ammonia, ph was 8.0, 230ppm alkalinity. Dumb wrasse also ate most of my worms.... tang loves grazing the live rock. Feed 1/2 inch alternating frozen myosis and blood shrimp and then sparing a tiny pinch of tetramarine flakes. Although i might stop using that cause i believe it has Phosphates... skimmer one a week pulls out the dark stuff 1/2 full but this week was 1/3 full of clearer yellowish instead. Making an ATO and Auto water changer similar to DIY king as soon as it gets here. However i want a more crystal clear tank. I was going to start to add corals but with whatever is going on i think i should wait.
Light is an aqueon 48" optibright white light 8am to 6pm, full spectrum 10am to 2pm and the blues on 5am to 10 pm. 70% or less for all.

Let me know please and recommendations.
20180621_211719.jpg
20180621_211659.jpg
20180621_211633.jpg
20180621_175517.jpg
20180621_175524.jpg
20180621_175444.jpg
20180617_183341.jpg

OP
OP
G

GuamBubblehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red in the corner of the tank on the rock is red algae im pretty sure. Not sure on the red brown on the side...

OP
OP
G

GuamBubblehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the photos to a LFS and he stated that it was Byropsis and recommended starting a Reef flux treatment. Just looking on another opinion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back