Diatoms or Dinos?

Raj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this brown stringy algae in my tank. Tank is about 8 months old, so originally I thought it was just a regular diatom outbreak and I'd be fine after the nutrients depleted. It's been two months, and while it's gotten better, I'm wondering if these are Dinos instead and I may need to take a different approach. It grows on the sand bed, tank glass, and rocks. Slimy to the touch and detaches from the rocks/glass with ease. They generate air bubbles on occasion too. Thanks in advance for any insights.

IMG_4480.JPG IMG_4481.JPG IMG_4482.JPG IMG_4483.JPG

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it kind of looks like dinoflagellates but its hard to tell

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me I would agree this looks like dinoflagellates. Does it go away on sand when lights go off and comes back next day when lights are on?

looks exactly like mindid. Thought it was diatoms, mine was not bubbly of slimy Either. Seemed more “dusty” fought diatoms for a while before I got a microscope only to find out it was Dino’s and I was fighting the wrong enemy lol.

if your local to Los Angeles you can borrow my microscope if you like to determine for sure.

good luck. Happy reefing.

p.s: I did not have low po4 or no3 either. Usually ULN systems get Dino’s, mine was and is not ultra low. Po4 at .25 and no3 at 10.

so long story short: not all Dino’s have every symptom the same.

OP
OP
Raj

Raj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me I would agree this looks like dinoflagellates. Does it go away on sand when lights go off and comes back next day when lights are on?

looks exactly like mindid. Thought it was diatoms, mine was not bubbly of slimy Either. Seemed more “dusty” fought diatoms for a while before I got a microscope only to find out it was Dino’s and I was fighting the wrong enemy lol.

if your local to Los Angeles you can borrow my microscope if you like to determine for sure.

p.s: I did not have low po4 or no3 either. Usually ULN systems get Dino’s, mine was and is not ultra low. Po4 at .25 and no3 at 10.

Thanks, I've been doing a ton of reading about diatoms v. dinos and without a microscope, it is hard to be 100% sure. Mine don't go away at night, which led me to believe they were diatoms, but not all dinos disappear at night. From what I read, diatoms will starve themselves out at some point, where as dinos won't. I just wanted to make sure before I invest in a UV sterilizer and up my nutrition levels.

Really appreciate the offer to use the microscope! I'm in San Francisco but I can access a microscope if need be, but that is mighty kind of you to offer! Thanks again!

-Raj

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did you best your dinos?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It IS dinos and being not a serious case, here is how you can beat it:
Are you using RO or tap water from the faucet? What is your phosphate level ??
To battle this, as soon as tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow this stuff loose and net or siphon it up. At night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for the next 5 nights.
During the day, add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To battle this, as soon as tonight or tomorrow night turn lights off for the next 5 days . Using a turkey baster blow this stuff loose and net or siphon it up. At night, add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for the next 5 nights.
Continue to feed fish as normal BUT DO NOT FEED CORAL FOOD TO CORAL OR ADD NoPox to tank which will feed Dino.
Day 6, turn blue lights to normal schedule and whites at 10%, then add whites 5.% each day until normal schedule.
I’m going to try this, I’m trying to figure out which bacteria in a bottle to buy. I’m torn between the waste away by dr Tim’s or microbacter7.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Ro/di with new filters, I have low almost un detectable amounts of po4 and nitrate around 15-20

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am using Ro/di with new filters, I have low almost un detectable amounts of po4 and nitrate around 15-20
There is more to it,, , but good on the water quality.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend filtering with carbon after the 5 days of dosing? Should I continue to run my skimmer and algae scrubber?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you recommend filtering with carbon after the 5 days of dosing? Should I continue to run my skimmer and algae scrubber?
Run both and dump skim cup daily and clean any filters to rid of every trace of dino. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS !!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Raj

Raj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vetteguy - thanks for the reply! I use tap water that runs through a 4 stage RODI filter, TDS measures at zero every time. I did have concerns about it because I normally used to buy my RODI from my LFS, but with COVID, their hours have been reduced so it's a bit harder to get there these days.

I originally thought it was diatoms, so I've been using NoPox a lot, but I see now that I've misdiagnosed my issue, so I'll stop with that immediately. I did have a question about the 5 days no light - would you recommend a total blackout or just keep the lights off? My reeftank is by a large window, and while it gets very little direct sunlight, there is a decent amount of ambient daylight in the room.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I feel confident now I'm going to get rid of this once and for all!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run both and dump skim cup daily and clean any filters to rid of every trace of dino. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS !!
I am seeing those results today! At this time my sand bed would normally be covered. Thank you!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this brown stringy algae in my tank. Tank is about 8 months old, so originally I thought it was just a regular diatom outbreak and I'd be fine after the nutrients depleted. It's been two months, and while it's gotten better, I'm wondering if these are Dinos instead and I may need to take a different approach. It grows on the sand bed, tank glass, and rocks. Slimy to the touch and detaches from the rocks/glass with ease. They generate air bubbles on occasion too. Thanks in advance for any insights.

IMG_4480.JPG IMG_4481.JPG IMG_4482.JPG IMG_4483.JPG
Diatoms first sure

Back