Diatoms starting

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ugly phase is begining and I wanted some input on my plan.

So 3 weeks ago, as my cycle had just conpleted, I added some Chaeto in my fuge, a jar of Tisbee pods, and have been dosing phyto.

I was hoping my diatoms would start and i started increasing the light when i added a very small CUC of:
2 Astrea snails
1 very large Trochus
1Large Turbo
1Hermit
1Coral Banded Shrimp

Also have 2 ocellaris clowns.

My idea was to make sure the pods could thrive, i would get the diatoms starting, now that they are hear, I am wondering if I made the wrong move. The pods are clearly going crazy on them, along with the astreas, and the hermit evidently. Shall i keep continuing the now 7 hours of light? Or am I being a dumb dumb
20221031_211513.jpg

I also have coraline taking off surprisingly fast considering I dosed it too early. Unless I am mis-idemtifying it. This pic is of what appears to be voraline as the diatoms are very clearly the brownish color that I've had in all of my fresh water planted tanks.

Some of my rock had red coraline that i had in water with no flow for nearly 2 weeks and got down to 67F one night before i started properly dark curing it. And it appears the redish coraline is starting to grow again on those rocks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read this? Scroll down to just after Stage 3. Everything you've described so far is perfectly normal.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that, somehow hadn't come accross it.

Sure enough, as much as there was that suddenly appeared through the light hours yesterday, my very small CUC already completely devoured it. Even the spots on the glass. I am absolutely impressed, I've never had a fresh water snail demonstrate anything near that speed and precision.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that, somehow hadn't come accross it.

Sure enough, as much as there was that suddenly appeared through the light hours yesterday, my very small CUC already completely devoured it. Even the spots on the glass. I am absolutely impressed, I've never had a fresh water snail demonstrate anything near that speed and precision.
There is a lot of valuable information in the sticky threads... Happy reading :)

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a ceiling to PH from oxygenation? We have a full house and my PH usually can't break 7.95 with all the windows shut, and since my bloom started I am at lowest 8.1. Its 8.18 now with 2 kids my wife and 3 quadrapeds in the house with the windows closed.

It's not possible that if we open up the house the PH will skyrocket out of a safe range right?

For comparison, windows open it would touch 8.2 with the 'whole house fan' on and windows open previously. So by the transitive property, if i did that not, it would go all the way to 8.4, which I assume oxygenation cannot do alone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back