Diatoms to eliminate or control nuisance algaes

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to hijak the thread Sixty, but Im about to start dosing phyto on a doser with 6 separate doses per day. Will be interested to see the effects on corals, sponges, copepods, and nuisance algae.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had talked on a different thread about my tank and how my GHA, cyano, and possibly Dino’s have returned to my system after beating them 3 months ago. Last night I took a large pump and blew out all of my rockwork, specifically all of the holes in the porous live rock, and the amount of detritus that came blasting out was amazing. I’ve done this several times in the past with similar results. The GHA typically grows back where this detritus accumulates. Would this be an example of DON? I have substantial flow but I can only do so much in a 500 gal display with 500 pounds of live rock.
I would be keen to say that the detritus in the sand bed and rocks would be particular organic matter and will become dissolved organic nutrients and dissolved inorganic nutrients as bacteria breaks them down.
how’s the residual nitrates and phosphates in the system?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be keen to say that the detritus in the sand bed and rocks would be particular organic matter and will become dissolved organic nutrients and dissolved inorganic nutrients as bacteria breaks them down.
how’s the residual nitrates and phosphates in the system?
Those that my test kits measure? Nitrates 15-20, Phosphates 0.05

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that my test kits measure? Nitrates 15-20, Phosphates 0.05

Keep a eye on the phosphates once you start dosing phytoplankton, I had a lot of micro organisms blooming on the sand bed and water column that used a great part of my phosphates. Wile you waiting to start, you could try dosing a maintenance dose of dissolved organic carbon at night.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back