OP
OP
Rileysreef50

Rileysreef50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mean to highjack the thread, but Im dealing with this kinda dinos now. No bubbles in them, they go away at night, come back in the day, looks like diatoms. My tank just turned a year in January, and I started with gulf live rock, so I know its good and cycled. Ive got coraline algae everywhere, and corals are doing well. These just started showing up about a month ago. Do you have any thing to suggest to help fight them? My no3 and po4 had bottomed out to 0 at the time this started. Ive been dosing neophos and neonitrate for the past week now and have no3 up to 5, and po4 just started to show a little color on the sailfert test. Its not getting any worse, but its not really getting any better either.
I got the usual diatoms from starting a new tank, they just never went away. I added a bag of chemi pure blue a couple of days ago and it’s starting to look a little better. Would you mind posting a pic of your tank so I can compare?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure? There’s no bubbles or little strings coming off of it.
not sure (no microscope pics). But I am confident!
The overall light dusting in some spots is actually quite thick and dark and clumpy. diatoms don't usually accumulate in such dense amounts to get really dark like that.
Also you say you have a RoDi unit and it's been doing this a year. Diatoms would run their course and cycle through the Si long before that. probably.

OP
OP
Rileysreef50

Rileysreef50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure (no microscope pics). But I am confident!
The overall light dusting in some spots is actually quite thick and dark and clumpy. diatoms don't usually accumulate in such dense amounts to get really dark like that.
Also you say you have a RoDi unit and it's been doing this a year. Diatoms would run their course and cycle through the Si long before that. probably.
I just really don’t want it to be Dinos lol. I’ve heard the horror stories.

OP
OP
Rileysreef50

Rileysreef50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a fighting conch help? I know they are good sand cleaners and have a big appetite.

OP
OP
Rileysreef50

Rileysreef50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mean to highjack the thread, but Im dealing with this kinda dinos now. No bubbles in them, they go away at night, come back in the day, looks like diatoms. My tank just turned a year in January, and I started with gulf live rock, so I know its good and cycled. Ive got coraline algae everywhere, and corals are doing well. These just started showing up about a month ago. Do you have any thing to suggest to help fight them? My no3 and po4 had bottomed out to 0 at the time this started. Ive been dosing neophos and neonitrate for the past week now and have no3 up to 5, and po4 just started to show a little color on the sailfert test. Its not getting any worse, but its not really getting any better either.
Upon closer inspection I can see some small air bubbles here and there. Looks like probably dinos. Not sure really where to go from here.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon closer inspection I can see some small air bubbles here and there. Looks like probably dinos. Not sure really where to go from here.
Bubbles are no an id. The only way to ID it is a microscope. All the rest is guessing or wishful thinking. Diatoms and dinos can look the same or so similar that only experts can tell it away.
Dinos are not one stain the treatment is different for each.
Get a microscope it is about £30 for a used one.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the length of time since the last post

this or any other reader's entire tank could have been commanded back into shape shown on outcome pic/page 1

the difference is will.

assessments began on clean water... vs invaded tank topwater/ the entire trajectory of the tank is changed vs working backwards, from the full invaded condition to the cleaned one and all mass is digested in-tank.

let the record reflect that's the most pained option.

I bet 99% of readers back a few weeks ago here had some algae and still have some, isn't that fascinating, to watch ourselves self-invade and then spend time trying to undo it while still self-invading letting organism X amass

does this not prove that for at least nano reefs, being invaded is a matter of psychology and not biology? its a choice to be invaded or not, when we have a tank of such small gallonage that accessing it all is no problem... i.e all nano reefs.
b

*some people like tinkering and finding natural ways to win against invasions, no harm there.

99.9% of readers want an algae free tank and dense corals, that's where commanding comes into play. don't think you have to dislike your reefing for days and months at a time, you have command shown right here in this thread just assume it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been snoozing a lot lately when it comes for forum algae posts, try and find after pics in any lot of ten you click on

go pages back

look for outcome pics, drivers that secure the win, see how many you find

is anyone out there serious about fixing up a tank, am talking -serious. not considering serious, but ready for action serious? if so, post up your challenge.

whatever challenge you have, post it and we'll predict the compliance date based off pics then we can track it here.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back