Diatoms

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that will help...but sounds like diatoms...theyre always first then the green algae will start to pop up.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that will help...but sounds like diatoms...theyre always first then the green algae will start to pop up.
This is what I got

image.jpg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has had mad diatoms for about 3 weeks now. Starting to finally slow down. I do notice small round spots of green (about the size of BB) is that the green algae you speak of? Tank is 4 months in. Added fish about a month and a half ago.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you start to see hints of green algae, it's fun to put in a snail or two. Turbo snails destroy diatoms... it's like watching dad mow the lawn.
I’m not sure where to get certain types of snails I don’t think my lfs has names on theirs. But their cleanup crew section isn’t the best either.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has had mad diatoms for about 3 weeks now. Starting to finally slow down. I do notice small round spots of green (about the size of BB) is that the green algae you speak of? Tank is 4 months in. Added fish about a month and a half ago.

Yup...which will eventually be replaced by corraline.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...which will eventually be replaced by corraline.
I hope so. I was worried my storage tanks were leaching. Tank: redsea reefer 250, redsea reef led90 x2 @40% salinity 35. Mag 1420 calc 410 alk 9.2 phosphate 0.00 nitrate around 5. Only running skimmer and carbon. Still waiting on "clean" chaeto. Two clowns, powder brown and sailfin tang (small). Set up tank in Aug. Precycled dry/dead rock for 1 month with Ammonia source and dr Tim's. Live sand, QTed all fish/coral one month. Coral list... only two small zoa frags and 3 mushrooms. Attached is the pic of current rock.

20191113_194057.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back