Dictoya? Keep or toss?

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work a LFS on weekends and was cleaning the overflow on our coral system. There's a lot of tangs and fish to keep it clean but in the overflow box and pvc stand pipes are little safe havens. Most of the time its micro brittles, nano conches, limpets, stomatellas, asterinas. Today I found a healthy chunk of dixtoya with a brilliant blue iridescence. Collected every bit I could and plan to incorporate it into my macro grow out tank in case it runs rampant.

If I keep it on a rock will it just grow aggressively or will it sporulate and just appear everywhere?

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's hard to discern from the video+ pics but it's all I got until I get it set up.

I would like some help identifying it. It looks like dictoya friabilis

Attachments

• 20220813_122806.jpg
    20220813_122806.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220813_170503.jpg
    20220813_170503.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220813_174052.mp4
    26.1 MB
OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the tank it looked just like the picture from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. I was drooling a bit even though it's commonly referred to as a nuisance algae.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I work a LFS on weekends and was cleaning the overflow on our coral system. There's a lot of tangs and fish to keep it clean but in the overflow box and pvc stand pipes are little safe havens. Most of the time its micro brittles, nano conches, limpets, stomatellas, asterinas. Today I found a healthy chunk of dixtoya with a brilliant blue iridescence. Collected every bit I could and plan to incorporate it into my macro grow out tank in case it runs rampant.

If I keep it on a rock will it just grow aggressively or will it sporulate and just appear everywhere?
If you have a macro only tank- it could be a cool piece to add in their knowing you will likely have to be more hands on with the tank to keep it trimmed. Depending on what else you have in there it will likely be one of the fastest growing. If your macroalgae tank is connected to a reef tank- I wouldn't add it so you aren't taking the chance of it going everywhere/growing over/shading corals
-Raven

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a macro only tank- it could be a cool piece to add in their knowing you will likely have to be more hands on with the tank to keep it trimmed. Depending on what else you have in there it will likely be one of the fastest growing. If your macroalgae tank is connected to a reef tank- I wouldn't add it so you aren't taking the chance of it going everywhere/growing over/shading corals
-Raven
This right here.

In addition, from someone with macro tanks, its rate of growth is crazy fast. It can outcompete most other macros and will spread readily. But, in a macro tank, it is easy to deal with. You just keep it in its own area and when it pops up, just pluck it off and aplly a little kalk paste to that area. You will need to do it as soon as you see it, so you are not spiking alk with a lot of kalk paste all at once. In a reef tank, you would need some herbivores to keep it down. Most herbivores love the stuff when it "sprouts" and the plant is young.

End of the day, if you have a blue edged strain, I would setup a macro only tank with a HOB filter and throw some reds in there to give a nice contrast to the tank. It is one of the prettiest macros IMO.

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping it in my grow out tank which houses all my macro trimmings (mostly reds and some calcified). I breed mollies in that tank so hopefully they'll help with keeping it under control. They've already eradicated my hair algae contamination and keep everything very clean.

Once it takes off I'll definitely put some up for sale/trade.

Pretty happy with this since it wasn't there a week ago at my LFS. They must have gotten a coral with some on it and it spread to the overflow. The tangs kept it at bay thankfully in our coral show system. A lucky find for me since I've been trying to get my hands on pandina for iridescent qualities but this is a close 3rd. (Hypnea will always be first for me).

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks promising. I swear it looked better in the overflow. Had to take it out with tongs because of the angle/location.

Attachments

• 20220815_092751.mp4
    10.2 MB
  • 20220815_092817.jpg
    20220815_092817.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220815_092658.mp4
    23.8 MB

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested as well! I had some Dictoya last year that fluoresced a beautiful light-blue color in very high light but, it died out after I accidentally let my nitrates and phosphates drop really low.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the tank it looked just like the picture from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. I was drooling a bit even though it's commonly referred to as a nuisance algae.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Russ Kronwetter, owner of live plants, says modes of propagation are Fragmentation & Sporulation, both will clog up intakes and easily cross contaminate other tanks connected.

Get some actinic or maybe purple light to bring out that iridescent blue shown in live-plant reference article. I would grow it in a macro tank.

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using bright whites in my grow out tank for it. Probably should switch over to 14000k-16000k. The tank I harvested it from was run heavy blues.

Didn't have luck securing it with fishing line. Trying to use rubble and see if it develops a holdfast soon. Can't have it flying aimlessly in my tank just yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

It will continue to progress

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on this thread that would like some? I can look to ship it via USPS flat rate.
Oh wow, I would buy some from you. I love all macro algae and that looks nice. Pm me if you still want to sell some.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had it and battled it for awhile. It would end up all over… if a small peice breaks off, it basically grows wherever it lands. It also would grow right on other macro blocking light and just smothering. Oh and it was constantly trying to clog and grow on my power heads and overflow.

I love macro but the maintenance on that one was not for me, even in a macro tank.

It was really pretty though.

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really pretty. I havent had any problems with it so far but I think that's because I have the other macros dialed in nutrient wise so there isn't a lot of room for explosive growth. Fingers crossed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back