Did a bad thing. Please QT your fish. Med help

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. So the fw dip is very important step of this correct? I had a black tang in qt once and saw it had an eye fluke. I did a fw dip for 5 min and after going back in the tank it just swam in circles and was dead the next AM.

It's important. I've done hundreds of FW dips and only ever lost a fish during or right after one when he was past the point of saving. I'm sorry for your past experience with it, but here is a video to show exactly how to do it just in case.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have ruby reef rally. The long winded version doesn't state the amount of it to use in the bath. And I use the methylene blue in there at the same time correct?

You won't do both at the same time. I believe it's one or the other. FW dip, then into the rally, then into the QT.
Ruby Reef Rally: Add 1 ounce per 10 gallons of water. This breaks down to roughly 2/3 teaspoon of Rally per gallon if using less than 10 gallons.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bath airing up

IMG_7737.JPG

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it mentioned. But if it's ich you can sell all your fish to people that can qt them. Wait the 76 days and start over. Would suck and you would lose money but it would be easier and less stressful to you and the wife. Give you a chance to only add the fish you absolutely love instead of dealing with devil fish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one? And use the recommended dose?

IMG_7738.JPG
I would use the coppersafe (in fact, that is what I use).

Here is a chart that shows which species do best in which product, but you will see that chelated copper like coppersafe is almost always preferred.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

Here is a list of the correct dosage and proper test kit for each copper product.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/

One bit of advice. It seems like most people find reading the copper test kits challenging and many of us get the dose wrong because of it. Especially for coppersafe, I recommend mixing up 1 gallon of salt water and dosing per the directions. Test it with the API test kit and remember what the test looks like. This then becomes the target you want to maintain. No good explanation why so many people have a hard time with the copper test kits but we definitely do.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I find the copper test kits really unnerving. The difference between therapeutic and toxic is typically less than a factor of 2 and the kits (to my eyes) don't offer that kind of resolution. I even made up my own standards of varying concentration and still feel totally in the dark about the readings. As a result I just follow the directions on the bottle for dosing exactly and hope I'm not missing something.

Edit: I should say I'm using cupramine but it's now obvious to me I should use coppersafe!

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer coppersafe and use it at the store as well as at home. As long as you have the API copper kit, then you are ready to roll on it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up now. I think you made the right choice. And we'll be here to help you should you encounter any difficulties.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't think this was the right choice. Lost 3 fish in the move so far and my gem tang is dying. I sincerely appreciate the help but I should have just dosed the tank and made it a fowlr

IMG_7740.JPG

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but any fish that have died where probably passed to point of no return for most of us, regardless if you dosed in tank or not. Just keep doing what you can live foods and live black worms might help to keep the fish eating and help immune system while your treating them.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you humblefish. I will do a fw dip to especially the extremely infected fish tomorrow, the chemical bath, and then chloroquine phos if I can find it locally if not using cupramine. It sounds like my fish that look better, it may be only temporary. Is there something I can safely add to the tank now knowing it may have traces of the ich x to kill free floating pieces or parasites still there. For the bath I obviously have ich x. Would that be better than acriflavine?
Look up hydroplex it's a good product and treats both Ich and velvet And it will work in a invert tank as well

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure everything is kosher with QT water parameters? Does SG & temp match the DT? Fish shouldn't be dying just by transferring from one tank to another. :confused:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the water from the DT. 2 died in the fw dip. 3 in the new tanks.

Did you temp control & aerate the FW before doing the dips? You're using RODI to do them, right?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back