Did a bad thing. Please QT your fish. Med help

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This may be mentioned somewhere in the 100 comments, but copper can give a false reading on ammonia tests. I believe the seachem ammonia badge is the best option as it wont give a false positive like the other tests will do.

I think that all depends on the type of copper and the test - so just google what you're using and what you're testing. Your ammonia might not be that high.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use something like furan or kanaplex during treatment or wait till the 30 day copper treatment is done and decide?

I wouldn't use either unless you see signs of a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone. So let me ask an extremely stupid and ignorant question: any and all types of fish can host velvet or ich? There's absolutely no type of fish that can be in the tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone. So let me ask an extremely stupid and ignorant question: any and all types of fish can host velvet or ich? There's absolutely no type of fish that can be in the tank?

Yes. Any fish can be a carrier.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point!

When my tank was fallow, I found it quite entertaining to keep a magnifying glass nearby. Without fish to hunt them, all of the tiny invertebrate life forms in the tank multiplied and roamed boldly across the rock. (When the fish returned, they had a _blast_ hunting the little critters down over the next couple of days!) Do remember though, that the fallow clock resets after any un-quarantined wet addition, as there could be a tomont encysted on the shells of inverts or the coral frag plugs.

It sounds as though the truly hard part is past - fingers crossed that it's all smooth sailing for you from here out! The folks who've been helping you have also helped me, and in spite of early frustrations, I'm still enchanted by this hobby.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask a question without getting reprimanded? Would something like a horned shark or eel be able to go in the tank? Are they able to host the parasite?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask a question without getting reprimanded? Would something like a horned shark or eel be able to go in the tank? Are they able to host the parasite?

Any fish can host a parasite or worm. It's just that some species are more suspectible, while others are more resistant.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would still be a terrible idea to put either of these in the tank?

I'm trying to remember your situation (without reading thru 7 pages to find out :p.)

Are you treating in QT and going fallow in your DT right now? Or something else?

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had what I think was. velvet outbreak about a month ago. Tank has been empty since with just coral and fish in QT treated with copper. Lost some but most now seem strong and the QT tanks are led free now

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had what I think was. velvet outbreak about a month ago. Tank has been empty since with just coral and fish in QT treated with copper. Lost some but most now seem strong and the QT tanks are led free now

If you're still running fallow, I wouldn't add anymore fish until the fallow period has ended. And only fish which have been properly QT'd so you don't have to go through this again.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in QT won't ever go back into this particular system. They will go in one of my new tanks I am having built and this tank will be my soft and lps tank eventually. But have a chance to get my dream zebra horn and this is the only tank that can house it fir the time being

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While sharks have remarkably thick skin covered with teeth, they're still fish, and they have delicate gills behind those slits. As frustrating as it is, I would recommend erring on the side of caution.

Not that I've always followed that advice in my own life ... for which I've paid the price more often than I'd like.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would still be a terrible idea to put either of these in the tank?
In short, yes it would be a terrible idea for many reasons, but that is one.

Stay patient, friend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back